Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Nothing to do with bottle it’s all to do with the lack of ability

Posted by: user127691 | Mon 22nd Jul 2013 11:08 | Last Reply

Am I the only one that see’s Lee Westwood as the average player he is?

I’ve discussed this on here before and even have several wagers going around that he will never win a major, but it appears I’m the only one who dare say this!!!

The guy has no variation in his game, he hits a high straight ball every time which is great when playing the target golf events, we all complain about, but at the majors where the courses and their setups demand a full arsenal of shots and all round game, he just doesn’t cut it. His short game is average and his putting until this weekend has been poor and he doesn’t have that Sunday round in his locker required to win a major.

He’s 40 now and the game is getting more competitive every year, I’m sure he will never win a major but am I the only one that sees it that way?

re: Nothing to do with bottle it’s all to do with the lack of ability
user80078
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 12:16

No you are not Gary. I have to agree with all you said and think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Phil showed his full game yesterday and you can't argue with a 66 against Westwood's 75. As much as I would like to see Lee break his major duck, I think he lacks the skills required. For too long I have cringed at his poor putting compared to other pro's, but now that he seems a better putter, he is showing frailties in his long and mid game. We have others that are closer to a major win than Lee, I'm afraid. Sad, but in my opinion true..

user127691
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 12:19

I think Unfortunatly Luke Donald is of the same ilk very good consitatnt player but without the flair, imagination and variation to win the big one. Poluter has a better chance then Westwood because on his day he can shoot a low round and he can when needed take the golf course on.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 12:54

I was impressed with this putting at the Open and whilst I agree that it's getting more and more competitive, Westwood's still got it in him. Age isn't a factor when you look at Phil and Ernie last year.

I reckon the 2014 Masters will have Lee's name on it

user127691
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 13:24

Age is just a number when your good enough, Els and mickelson had already won 3 majors before reaching 40 and ernie and phil are not even in the same quality bracket as Lee. Phil proved that as he brushed him aside in 2010 just as he did yesterday.

It would be nice to be proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath. I think on paper England s football team could have won a worls cup or european chamionship in the last 20 years but on reflection that was patriotic blindness!!! If he wasn't English very few would give him a shout.

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 13:30

Gary/Michael you don't win 40 times worldwide and be European and World number one by being an 'average' player.

I'm a big fan of Lee, however I do agree with you that I don't think he will ever win a major but it's not down to him not having the game. It is unfortunately just down to pressure and when it comes in those situations with the monkey hanging over his head with not winning one he simply can't cope. The one bit of light is that's he keep putting himself in the position to win and maybe he'll get a bit of luck one day but it certainly won't be down to lack of talent.

user38216
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 14:15

Poor decision making yesterday. He should have gone for it and chased a low round rather than protect a marginal lead!

user43763
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 15:26

I agree with the general opinion on here that westwood isn't as good as he should be. I was very impressed with his putting in the open, since hes been with sean foley he has improved considerably, I just wonder what could of been if hed made the move a few years ago.

I don't believe age is a factor, I think anyone can win if they have the shots in the bag and lee falls a bit short for me on that category.

I think his gameplan was pretty sound, on the last day it was obvious he went out and only had to shoot level par to win, but his plan B was awful. he went from bunker to bunker, deep rough to deep rough. that's simply not good enough. on one hole, I think it was the 8th he hit an iron left into the deep stuff and then tried to force an iron onto the green when even the commentators were saying it was a miracle shot. he came up short and it all fell apart. Huge respect for hitting a driver off the deck from the fairway though

user127691
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 15:46

Adam I agree Average may be harsh he's better than average but the best players win the majors and he's not one of the best.

His No.1 ranking flattered him and and his ability he's a good solid player there is only Donald and kuchar that can compare consistancy wise in ball striking. Lee hits the ball dead straight and in your bog standard events thats enough but for the majors the setup demand more from your game. Also just to put into perspective he has 20 wins in europe and 2 in america Phil micelson has 42 wins on the PGA tour and 9 in europe. Lee's asia tour and sunshire tour wins are a bit mickey mouse in comparison.

David says he needed to go for it more I just don;t think he has that in his locker he can't pull a course apart at will he shoots 4 good rounds and hopes its enough he can't win it on the last day if he wanted to.

Last edit : Tue 23rd Jul 2013 11:00
user451055
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 16:04

I think average is a bit harsh! Also - his short game was excellent through most of the weekend - surely you can't say he doesn't have the short game after some of those putts and chips.

I think the reason he hasn't and maybe won't win a major is purely down to between his ears.

With the improvement in his short game he definitely has the physical game for it - I just worry about the mental side. He just doesn't seem to have found the correct 'Sunday' frame of mind to get him past the post.

user477305
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 16:33

I think it's a bit of both. His game isn't spectacular but I think if he was a determined go-getter it would be good enough to land one major. Unfortunately he just doesn't have the character for it. He is a nice guy but the "I don't really get dissapointed by golf anymore" statement just sums him up. He lacks the real passion and grit that it takes to go low on a Sunday. I think it is highlighted by how far apart him and Poults were at the end of Saturday, then they finished on the same score. Poulter just has that fire that is so obviously not there with Lee. Great guy but doesn't have enough in the locker to fall back on

user504404
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 16:54

The thing that worries me more is the fact that he led Wentworth by 3 after 5 holes of the 4th round and went to pot. Then he leads yesterday by 3 shots after 6 holes and blows that as well.

How much of a scar is this going to leave?

I would love Lee to win a major but will he be able to get over the line after these 2 recent almighty blow ups?

user16106
Reply : Mon 22nd Jul 2013 21:38

Ive heard it all now. Westwood is average. You dont get to world #1 in golf, boxing, running or basket weaving if you are average, FACT. Over recent ( 5 year since 2009 ) MAJOR history Westwood has had 11 top 10s , 8 of them top 3s. Lefty 10 top 10s 6 top 3s inc 2 wins. Tiger, 9 top 10s no wins. Rory 6 top 10s 2 wins. Luke 5 top 10s no wins. Scott 6 top 10s 1 win. What he is lacking in my opinion is going for the win mentallity. Im sure Lee would say he bloody goes for the win but go for the win at all costs. His putting which has been lacking has improved. He is up there with his short game. He is long and straight off the tee. He may never win a major, If he continues as he is Ill say he will, Maybe the next PGA has got his name on it. Average! I dont think so Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 23rd Jul 2013 01:40

I think Lee would have won The Open if Billy Foster had been on the bag. Nothing against his new guy but Billy knows him better and would have kept his nerves more in check.

user127691
Reply : Tue 23rd Jul 2013 11:49

Dave,

I did say I was probably a little harsh callling him average but the difference between Lee and Justin Rose is that people always questioned if Rose would ever reach his potential. Note the world potential Rose always had the tools to be a major champion he has an exceptional short game, its understated but its up there with the very best, he also hits all the shots unlike Lee but did the mental scars of turnng pro to early ruin the remainder of his career.

I just think Lee is very overated, time will tell but if he does win a major then I'll be happy for the bloke i'm not a hater, but if he doesn't like I don't think he will I stand to make a good few quid.

I just think this mental thing is a kop out from his supporters who overlook his technical failings and give him and excuse.

Last edit : Tue 23rd Jul 2013 11:50
user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 23rd Jul 2013 13:22

Gary I just don't see how you're saying his supporters are using the psychological aspect as a kop out. We all know the mental game is as important as anything else in the game and his flaws are just that and the moment he hasn't got the mental toughness when it comes to big, not just majors but big tournaments as Nigel touched upon, look at Wentworth.

But looking at Dave Patrick's stats of his last five years in majors. His number are incredible and apart from a few majors here or there he's incredibly consistent so I'm really baffled at how you think he's overrated? I am one of those big Westwood fans but as I said before I agree with you and think it's a shame but he'll never cross that line in winning a major. Like you I hope I'm very much taken to the cleaners and proved wrong and I'll be the first to admit it.

But each to their own and you've started a great forum post my expressing your own opinion. Good on you. It's great to hear what other people think.

user127691
Reply : Wed 24th Jul 2013 10:15

I was deliberalty a little antogonistic with the average remark, fancied getting a bit of a debate going!!!

I know full well the guy isn't average he is a very good player just I dont think good enough, I think people are correct his attitude to not go out and get it holds him back. I think however that attitude comes from a full understanding of his own ability and not mental weakness. I feel he knows he can't pull courses apart but he can always be in the mix by being very consistent over the 4 days. Thats why he is continualy in the mix but never wins.

The other guys go out to win a major Lee is always waiting for the others to slip up, but when all the worlds best are there its going to have to be a very bad days golf for everyone to slip up at once.

Mental wekness was Rory at the Masters, Greg Normans collapse when Faldo was chasing him down. I think Lee had a poor round on Sunday more due to the wind and his inability to change his game to suit than mental weakness. I dont remeber him collpasing to let folks catch him in other majors when he was in contention, I just think peolple finished off the championship like he couldn't.

Last edit : Wed 24th Jul 2013 10:19

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top