Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Brandon Wood Golf Course North v South Venue?

Posted by: user249902 | Fri 21st Jun 2013 18:36 | Last Reply

I played Brandon Wood today and although the greens didn't look great the whole course played very well. Nicely manicured fairways gave each hole definition.

A municiple course owned and operated by Coventry City Council, it wouldn't be a bad choice for the North v South event, with a Holiday Inn less than 2 mile away, access would be easy.

The website has been revamped and can be found here

I understand they also do society rates, so maybe a deal could be done that would cover both Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon, although if the dates re Sun/Mon I would recommend trying to get a deal at Coventry Golf Club (for Mon) which is about 10 minutes drive from the hotel

re: Brandon Wood Golf Course North v South Venue?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 21st Jun 2013 20:42

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated! I should have info on the North vs South confirmed and published next week which is looking like the end of September.

I'm also in the process of organising a few open days probably North, Midlands and South which will take place in July, August and October.

Off to check out Brandon Wood now on Golfshake

Regards, Darren.

user356537
Reply : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 18:08

Brandon Wood? As Wimbledon starts next week the appropriate response would have to be, "You cannot be serious".

Each to their own but I wouldn't pay to play NvS or any other GS event there.

user249902
Reply : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 19:34

Richard, I'ts only a suggestion, the course was in decent condition, you can get some great rates if you speak with the right people. 10 of us played on Friday for £95.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 19:52

Just checked need a hotel for NvS

user69191
Reply : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 22:48

Brandon not a good enough course and doesn't stand up to prolonged rain, which obviously will happen. Played there last year and the first 3 holes were under 6 feet of water, and they often close 2 holes on the back 9 for the same reason. Clubhouse not big enough either but 18th is a great finishing hole.

Last edit : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 22:49
user106712
Reply : Sun 23rd Jun 2013 09:01

Has anyone checked out Belfry? Bed and breakfast and Dinner plus 2 rounds (not Brabazon) £99. This is in August. http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/special_offers/index.php?offertype=golf_breaks&month=201308

Last edit : Sun 23rd Jun 2013 09:04
user249902
Reply : Sun 23rd Jun 2013 14:45

gentlemen, it was only a suggestion. Lets be honest here this isn't going to happen because whichever course is suggested it's knocked back

I have played both Brandon and Staverton Park in the last month and both were in great condition. Likewise others have suggested different.

I recall a large number of players driving to the middle of nowhere to play Cleobury Mortimer, which itself was/is nothing special.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 23rd Jun 2013 16:53

Smack on Bob. No matter where you suggest some will say yes and others will say no. Even if we got Wentworth for £49 for bed, breakfast and 2 rounds there would be people asking why we hadn't gone to Sunningdale or why we had picked somewhere so close to London just to make it easier for those from Essex

People will always have opinions and they will always differ. It's all about trying to find balance. Generally speaking, the criteria is:-

1. Roughly central location
  2. Hotel capable of holding around 60 people just for our comp
  3. Willing to take a large society on a consecutive Sunday and Monday
  4. Reasonable price (about £100 to £140 max)

Then add in the nice to haves

1. Good quality course
  2. A course suited to match play
  3. A finishing hole in front of the bar
  4. A private room for the evening meal and post-match presentations

With all that together you can see how difficult it is to find the right place. Darren has my sympathy!!!

user26342
Reply : Sun 23rd Jun 2013 21:45

Robert,

Why did you not like Cleobury? Was it because of the bad weather? I rate Cleobury as one of my top 10 courses I have played.

I'd recommend going & playing it now as it's in great condition.

user249902
Reply : Mon 24th Jun 2013 08:19

John, what I said was it was nothing special, I always enjoy my days out. I'm pretty central in Coventry but found the drive a bit of a ball ache, I have travelled to Worksop to play and was dissapointed there whereas Bondhay the day before was in really good condition. I've drove up to Grimsby and loved the course, as I did with Normandy Hall.

I'm most probably not as well travelled as some, but there are courses a good few miles away that I have no hesitation of re-visiting. Cooden Beach is 3 hours but this year will be my third trip down because the course and company is what it's about

user202373
Reply : Fri 28th Jun 2013 23:46

Cleobury to be fair has been ok in the past but there's far better courses around ,but like it has been said not many will cater for what is required for n v s

user504404
Reply : Sun 30th Jun 2013 07:52

For what it is worth I was add my "two pence worth"

From reading all the posts connected with the NvS event, a common theme emerges ie people agree and people disagree.

Darren - if I was you I would book a location that "you!" think will be suitable, I am assuming you have played in these events before so you will have a good idea. I am fairly new to the site so have not played in a NvS before so there is little point in me offering up an option.

Then it is just down to people to decide if they can get there or if it is worth the journey.

Otherwise as Chris states Darren will give up!!

user356537
Reply : Mon 1st Jul 2013 23:29

Nigel, very well said. I couldn't agree more!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top