Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Help!

Posted by: user515579 | Wed 3rd Apr 2013 18:06 | Last Reply

I have just started a golf society we have shirts meetings everything bar play a game and the arguments have started regarding handicaps, now my proposal was playing a stableford format and any scores over 30 I will add 0.3 per shot eg 38 = 8 x 0.3 = 2.4 shots off your handicap etc etc also players struggling I.e. 20 and below e.g. 14pts = 6 x 0.4 = 2.4 shots on their handicap the only reason I want this is because we only will play 6 games per year and everyone is comparing with club handicaps and they won't have it that societies and club handicaps are completely different? HELP

re: Help!
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 3rd Apr 2013 18:36

Carl,

I see what you are aiming at but I think you have started with the wrong figure.

36pts = Level PAR. If SSS is two below par then 38pts is the new 'bottom line', whereas SSS being two above par, 34pts is the 'bottom line'.

What about, 2shot pull for the winner and one for the runner up, with everyone scoring lower than 20pts get 1shot added and below 15pts 2shots added to their Hcp.

This then takes conditions and courses out of the total outlook.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 3rd Apr 2013 21:47

Carl,

I'm handicap secretary for a pub society and this year we have agreed the following rules: -

• Cuts will be made in line with CONGU rules (0.4 per shot under handicap Cat 4, 0.3 per shot under handicap Cat 3, etc)
  • If there are 15+ players in a comp, for the next match only the winner is cut 3 additional shots, 2nd cut 2 additional shots, 3rd cut 1 additional shot
  • If there are 10 - 14 players in a comp, for the next match only the winner is cut 2 additional shots, 2nd cut 1 additional shot
  • If there are less than 10 players in a comp, for the next match only the winner is cut 1 additional shot

We also adjusted handicaps based on last year's performances. Roughly speaking, people got adjusted by about 20% of the difference between their average score and handicap. For example, if someone shot on average 5 shots over their handicap we increased their handicap by one shot

Not sure about your aims, but we are trying to give everyone a chance of picking up a prize during the year

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 3rd Apr 2013 23:12

We introduced the additional cut because if you predicted a top three you could almost guarantee you would get at least one right. None are cheats (we're lucky we have quite an honest bunch) but it always seemed to be the same few winning the prizes and we wanted to give everyone a fair chance. We also had a few who were too honest for their own good, had handicaps far too low and were coming in with no more than 25 points every round

We have tried to level the playing field a bit, but to be fair it will always take a few rounds to out the bandits. However, a 3 shot cut for the next game will make it more difficult to win two on the trot

user518366
Reply : Wed 17th Apr 2013 15:14

HELP!!! i know this is not related but i am the handicap secretary for my society, and one of my weekly four-ball members (who plays off 28) had a round of 49 points!!! Where i usually play with him i know his ability and upto now his h/cap has been about right. (Obviously we all slated him with the 'bandit' and he has now earned himself the name of 'Pedro'.) anyway, how much should he be cut? if any???

Ben

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 17th Apr 2013 15:45

around 5 shots, so he should be about 23 now

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 17th Apr 2013 15:46

Check out the society system on Golfshake which will work out all the golf handicaps for you

http://www.golfshake.com/golfgroups/

user518366
Reply : Wed 17th Apr 2013 15:55

Thanks guys, he wont be beating me again lol

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top