Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

new to golf and can't wait to get on a proper course

Posted by: user474179 | Wed 20th Jun 2012 23:45 | Last Reply

Hi, i am a beginner and i'm wanting some friendly advice please. im really enjoying my group lessons and i go on the driving range at every opportunity as I'm loving it so much and im itching to get a a proper course (nine hole course) but was wondering when is the right time to take the plunge? I don't want to embarrass myself as i dont hit very far yet usually 50-80 yrds with my 5 iron (don't laugh) x

re: new to golf and can't wait to get on a proper course
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Jun 2012 01:03

Just pick the right time and go out on the course when it's not busy.

I'd say give a weekend morning a miss, but you can get out late afternoon on a weekend and not see anybody else on the course.

Russ

user355541
Reply : Thu 21st Jun 2012 07:33

I can steer you in the direction of a 9-hole course in Notts whose Ladies section would be very welcoming and you would find quite a number who would be delighted to hit a 5-iron 50 yards. I can PM you with more info if you are interested.

Last edit : Thu 21st Jun 2012 07:35
user451727
Reply : Thu 21st Jun 2012 07:35

Hi Samantha, I agree with Russell here. I believe it would be a good idea to ring the course you are planning to play and ask them when it is the most quiet. A Wednesday after 1.30pm and after 3 on a Saturday is normally really quiet on my local course. Good luck and enjoy. Colin.

user451055
Reply : Thu 21st Jun 2012 07:48

As per other responses - find a quiet time and also read up on etiquette in case you do come across anyone.

Get on the course though. the fastest way to improve is to increase your confidence and this will come by playing on a course.

Don't expect to hit it like you see on telly, don't expect to hit it as well as you do on the range but persevere as it will come good.

I went through what you are doing 2 years ago (except I couldn't hit higher than a 7 iron for ages) and I promise you it will improve faster the more you practice!

user24437
Reply : Fri 22nd Jun 2012 22:13

Samantha. It's really hard to bite the bullet and actually get out on a course. However hours and hours on the driving range are pretty pointless until you have to start thinking about distances and lies and all the other stuff that get thrown at you during a round. And just remember, no one ever, ever died of embarrassment. We've all been there, done that and scuffed the tee shot!

user80078
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 19:22

I would be very surprised if anyone laughed at you Samantha, because we have all been at the beginner stage once. I know Lincoln Golf Centre and think you have a nice venue at which to get started. Just talk to the staff, who will advise you of a good ( quiet) time to play. One tip is to let anyone play through if they are being held up by you. They will appreciate your ettiqutte knowledge and you will lose nothing by the gesture. Good luck.

user459944
Reply : Tue 26th Jun 2012 10:11

Sam, best advice for first round, go with a friend that you can have a laugh with (you will need them for moral support as we all have good days & bad days), dont take the first round too seriously and enjoy the fact you are actually taking your virginal steps on the course, laugh off the bad strokes and pat yourself on the back for the good ones, depending on how seriously you are taking the game, make a note of your good points and bad points, come in handy on the practice sessions & lesson times (gives you something to work on), and always remember the golden rule...its meant to be fun !!
tim

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top