Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Modern course info

Posted by: user364745 | Wed 28th Mar 2012 14:30 | Last Reply

Why oh why in 2012 with smartphones WiFi etc etc do courses in UK persist in offering only a 150 post and a deatl-less miniature map on a scorecard ? Some have 200 and 100 dicsc in fairways. NONE remeasure for winter tees. NONE have distance to ponds, stream, ravines on tees and VERY few have a map of the hole on the tee and if they do its useless usually ? Ok memebers learn the hard way where to hit and how far stuff is but come on its 2012 ? One wa would be a free course app for iPhones, or just a plain old paper map with key distances on ? Most places don't have Strokesaver books and how many of us do have GSM distance finders ? Rant !

re: Modern course info
user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 15:32

Roberta, this game is played with ones eyes and it is up to the players skills in being able to judge a distance. Sixty years of playing without the need to know how far it is.

user338942
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 18:12

Hi Roberta,  there are loads of free/cheap apps available out there.  If you dont have a smart phone, or on a course that strictly forbids phones on the course, you could always do a bit of homework on Google Earth the night before and make some key notes.

All else fails, you could make enquires to JP about his caddying rates!!!!  winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" />

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 19:53

There is no one on this earth that can hit a ball exactly the distance that the yardage book tells them, time after time. The success rate using this method is no better than the old way the game was played, with eyesight and a feel for distance.

I have no trouble clubbing my friends who are very good players. I have stopped them using GPS and yardage charts and their improvement is noticeable and reflected in their han dicap reductions. Why on earth would anyone wish to know it is 124 yards to the pin.

user449768
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 21:51

Pros dont just use their eyes though do they? They have very detailed measurements to get the distance and club just right, or am i wrong?blushhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/embaressed_smile.gif" title="blush" width="20" />

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 23:00

Mike, yes the Pro's do have measurements down to the last inch, but if you ever watch them they are quite often through the green or are short, which should tell you that even they can get it wrong. Remember that what you watch on TV is the leaderboard, the players who don't make the cut are usually over par.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 23:42

Seve was once given the yardage from a wrong bunker by his caddie. Didn't think it was right, but still hit a shot for the yardage. Sailed the green and ended up on the putting green OOB.

That was down the 18th at Moortown GC. He double checked things after that.

TheLyth

user451055
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 12:50

Hey that is my home course and when I joined it was the first tale told to me. It still gets an airing every few months!

user52922
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 15:01

No, Roberta, my response was how I have always played this game. I never look at the length of the hole marker, not interested. All that interests me is where I am going to hopefully put my tee shot and my eyes will tell me that.

So you play by yardages, great, if it suits you, but tell me what club you would take for 141, yards, 143 yards, 145 yards, 147 yards. Not a different one for sure, so you are also, in fact compromising something else to achieve the yardage.

I learnt this game when no course even had a 150 yard marker, so I know nothing else but how I used to play this game.

If you tell me that for `140 yards you hit a 7 iron, I would bet that if you came down to my place and hit your seven iron, it would not go exactly 140 yards, so unless it can do that all the time, the yardages are irrelevant.

user338942
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 18:12

I can see both schools of thought here.  Playing a new course, having a yardage indicator is something of a comfort to a player and playing in this age it is fairly common to have those to hand. 

So while JP has the experience of clubbing a shot without such aids, the modern golfer (myself included) takes this assistance for granted.

Speaking for myself, while I rarely look at GPS or 150 markers at my home course, I do like a ball-park figure to the green playing somewhere more unfamiliar where a dip before a green or a non-standard flag size can alter perceptions of yardage.

user52922
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 19:15

Perception of yardage, Dave, interesting point, but it would only be yardage to you, to me it would be that looks like a strong seven or maybe a knockdown six. Where is the bale out area for the guaranteed up and down. Just some of the things that I think about on every shot, never the yardage, just not interested, as it means nothing too me. Congratulations on your very fine round the other day, first of many, I'm sure.

user16106
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 20:21

John are you saying that you play the whole course by "feel"? I ,like a lot of others Im sure dont need the yardage in from about 75 yds. I play it all to feel not distance. Is this how you play the full hole?  Anything from 200-75yds then I need the yard to be confident on a full swing with a club that suits.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 20:38

From the tee, Dave, I am just trying to get as far down the fairway as possible, this often leads to me slashing at the ball with the usual result and you will understand what I mean. My drives at best are about 190 yards, which means nothing in itself, just stating the yardage to give you an idea.

With this short distance from the tee it means that I very rarely get the chance to go for a green as it is unreachable as a GIR, however my game is based on my ability to hit greens once I have a club like a 7 or 8 in my hand. If I have laid up even closer then  I start to think of getting up and down.

My course is extremely long,6875 from the medal tees, which are always used so I have to play very well to play to my handicap. Where I do come unstuck is playing someone of the same handicap who gets his handicap because of disasters in his round yet still has half a dozen pars.

So to answer your question, I plot my way round hitting distances that are very easy to hit. As an example a 370 yard hole would be a 3 wood from the tee, an 8 iron lay up and some kind of wedge shot for my third. Bogies are very easy the way I play, but pars are hard to come by.

Come and have a game, Dave.

Last edit : Thu 29th Mar 2012 21:16
user16106
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 20:46

I can now see why you would rearly need to know the distance in yds as your aproach shot will ussually be the 75yd or under shot as I mentioned before. I will try to arrange a day off and come up to your monster of a course john.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user338942
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 22:22

If you want to play a monster course we'll go to Rockliffe next time your up this way - 7800y off the back blocks!!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 22:53

Judy,

And Nigel Denham from the lounge I bet? I think some members know more about that than the Ryder Cup.

TheLyth

user16106
Reply : Thu 29th Mar 2012 23:24

DS 7800yds off the backs id be lucky to break 100. yellows look better at 6400. I will give you a shout Dave next time Im up in Newcastle. Cheers.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user338942
Reply : Fri 30th Mar 2012 01:42

Played there off the yellows last year.  Great course!!  Still only a few years old, but will be formidable once it matures

user52922
Reply : Fri 30th Mar 2012 09:37

Ian, I could go along with the theory of exact yardages if every course was dead flat and there was always no wind. It could possibly work, then.

So your six iron goes approximately 160 yards, what do you do if the breeze is dead against at about 20mph, or from the sides. This little factor alone will play havoc with your club selection as knowing the yardage is of no use to you whatsoever. You have to have a feel for distance and some degree of skill in knowing what options are available to you to give the desired result.

Don't forget that modern day clubs are unworkable like the blades of old so less options are at your fingertips when it comes to being able to hit shots that require a different ball flight. Your stock standard balloon into the air that goes 160 yards will not cover the requirements needed.

user79118
Reply : Fri 30th Mar 2012 20:25

@ Paul Baird.

Exactly how I play the game and so do most of the players I come up against at my club. There are the odd 1 or 2 who insist on getting the distance to the pin with the range finders. The only information I have ever found useful on a phone app is the depth or width of a green as then you know how much room for error you have. I don't have one but my playing partners usually do and tend to just throw this information about wether you want it or not.

user451055
Reply : Mon 2nd Apr 2012 17:23

TheLyth - yep - they told me all about the shot through the doors and as a result they instigated out of bounds once on the tarmac path! 

I love the course but it is a tough one to learn golf on. If you don't hit the fairway you are in allsorts of trouble. My husband is a very good golfer so we needed a good course for him. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Apr 2012 17:17

All a GPS/Range Finder can do is give you a distance.

Once you have this distance then you have to factor in all the other outside influences that can affect your golf ball.

Having done all this you will have in your hand the golf club required to reach the spot you are aiming at.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top