Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Warm ups

Posted by: user455045 | Tue 27th Mar 2012 16:52 | Last Reply

Does anyone take a pre game warm up seriously? ..................apart from a few stretches and swings etc. I would be interested  to hear views on this. Does it help the game, what do " OLD " hands think?  

re: Warm ups
user437159
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 18:27

hit a few balls, minute or so chipping, 10 minutes putting - done. seems to work fine

user455045
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 18:54

Thanks Liam. I am a relative new comer and a little long in the tooth( 65 )Reasonably fit for my age. I had a game last Sunday and by Tuesday ( Today ) I have a " soreness " in the small of my back. I assumed it was because I had exercised it through the golf game; BUT not warmed up profrownhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/confused_smile.gif" title="frown" width="20" />perly/sufficiently????????????

user455045
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 18:55

Thanks Liam. I am a relative new comer and a little long in the tooth( 65 )Reasonably fit for my age. I had a game last Sunday and by Tuesday ( Today ) I have a " soreness " in the small of my back. I assumed it was because I had exercised it through the golf game; BUT not warmed up profrownhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/confused_smile.gif" title="frown" width="20" />perly/sufficiently????????????

user437159
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 20:08

john - im only 13 and have only been play about a year and a quarter. recently i have found that the less i think of a round the better i play - this is from self inflicted pressure and putting bad thoughts in my head. this could be the same when you feel sore. if you do all the warm ups etc before the round - there shouldnt be anything to worry about within and after the round! just my thoughts

user455045
Reply : Tue 27th Mar 2012 22:52

Thank you Ian,Liam.

I shall warm up by doing  the usual stretches etc however  I find myself being somewhat conscious of my antics LOL at the 1st tee as I do not see too many golfers warming up. .....................but this doesn't account for my soreness. It could well be that I am using "new found muscles " which after all is part of getting fit for golf.coolhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/shades_smile.gif" title="cool" width="20" />

user78137
Reply : Wed 28th Mar 2012 22:44

It's a good idea to stretch hamstrings, back muscles, shoulders etc.

If you dont do a warm up god help you as you get older.  it's too easy to hurt your back or in fact any other part of the body during the golf swing.

Think about it your hitting something at between 70 & possibly over a hundred miles an hour, all those muscles working at full tilt. If you chose not to prepare them for what they are about to go through, a visit to the doctors is on the cards.

Also a good stretch & warm up will help you on the first tee, you can get straight on the money with a good straight long drive.

Cheers

David

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 31st Mar 2012 15:32

Everyone should warm-up before playing golf, but how many of us do?

How can you expect to start well if you haven't got 'into the swing of things'

One thing I would say, is don't overdo the warm-up.

It might be something as simple as hitting ten balls and then pitching/chipping them together before picking them up.

Others might go through the bag, as well as pitching, chipping and putting.

Each person is different so try and work out what suits you.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Sat 31st Mar 2012 17:26

John

as we become more experienced (older - I'm 54) and start to put a bit more into the game you will find that you get sore in muscles that you would never normally feel it.  The soreness is most likely just a tweek in one of your lower back muscles and hopefully not anything worse - stretching before a round will help especially rotationally round the core but it's probably just that you aren't quite 'match fit' yet.  It should ease over time as you get used to the extra exercise ( I did 18 holes last Sunday followed by 36 Monday - carrying).  Just one question though, do you use a trolley/cart?  Could be something as simple as turning to pull those contraptions around that's done it.  

user455045
Reply : Sat 31st Mar 2012 18:31

Thanks everyone. I think the concensus is to do some statregic stretching as well as hit  a few balls.

TIM

I was bought a cart for Christmas . I forget sometimes and pull it rather than push it.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top