UK Golf Guide
Online golf course directory; view course information, tee time offers and get feedback from the course before you play by reading the 1000s of independent reviews.
Titleist 913 Custom Fit Feature
Golfshake's Owen Davies visited the Titleist National Custom Fitting centre in St Ives, Cambridgeshire to try out the new 913 Driver. Find out how he got on....
Editorial Feature: The Future of Golf
Few people that watched the final day of the 39th Ryder Cup could deny it was one of the most astonishing and captivating moments they had witnessed in sport.
3 ball slice drill
Dean Halford, The Online Golf Coach, talks us through a simple 3 ball drill to help cure the slice shot, something effecting the majority of golfers at some point.
Play the Perfect series: Chip from the rough
James Ellis, creator of the Pocket Pro golf app, provides some tips to help play a chip shot when in the rough.
- Score Tracker
- Golf Handicap
The Shire Series - Tribute To Seve
Posted by: Darren Ramowski on Mon 27 Feb 2012
UK golfers can now pay their own tribute to Seve Ballesteros, and raise money for his Foundation, in a new year-long series of amateur golf events to be hosted at his only UK designed golf course.
Taking place at The Shire, the Shire Series starts in June and will feature six qualifying tournaments with a Final, featuring winners and runners-up, to take place on National Spain Day, October 12th 2012.
The venue is donating at least £20 from all entry fees plus proceeds from all other fundraising activity to the Seve Ballesteros Foundation, which works in partnership with Cancer Research UK to raise money for vital brain cancer research.
Seve Ballesteros passed away on May 7th 2011, and The Shire Series starts just over a year later, in June 2012.
The full schedule is:
- Monday 11th June 2012 – The Shire Series Men's Scratch Open
- Monday 11th June 2012 - The Shire Series Women's Scratch Open
- Tuesday 19th June 2012 - The Shire Series Classic (Men & Women's handicap)
- Friday 31st August 2012 - The Shire Series Family Open
- Wednesday 26th September 2012 - The Shire Series Corporate Cup
- Friday 12th October 2012 - The Shire Series Final (National Spain Day)
- Tuesday 30th October 2012 - The Shire Series Junior Open
Seve’s nephew and manager Ivan Ballesteros says: “Seve was determined for his Foundation to raise money to help others in his position. I am very happy the Seve Ballesteros Foundation is benefitting from The Shire Series as it will help us to achieve this, and I’d like to thank them for their support. Good luck and play well!'
The Shire London's Ceri Menai Davis explains the thinking behind the event: "Almost everyone is affected by cancer in some way, and we were all deeply touched here by what Seve went through, as many of us were lucky enough to meet the great man during his visits here.
“Seve was a superlative, Major-winning superstar and secured his place in the history of the sport many times over, but he was also charismatic like no other golfer before or since, and had a natural, everyman type appeal. The Shire Series has been created in that spirit, and enables any golfer - no matter what his or her experience or age - to compete on equal terms on his spectacular Masters Course here at The Shire London."
The Shire London celebrates its 5th anniversary in 2012, and donations from The Shire Series will be boosted by other events at the club in 2012, including Members' events, as the club seeks to raise the maximum amount of money for the Seve Ballesteros Foundation, its official charity.
Sophie Cannon, Foundations Manager at Cancer Research UK, said: "Seve inspired everyone in the golfing world, and The Shire Series is a fitting tribute to him, as it is hosted at the course he designed. Donations to the Seve Ballesteros Foundation enable us to continue our vital research into brain cancer, so we hope many golfers will enter the tournaments - and enjoy Seve's golf course."
Full entry and donation details can be found on the web at www.theshireseries.com, or call The Shire London on +44 (0)20 8441 7649
Leave Commentscomments powered by Disqus
- FootJoy launch new Contour Casual MyJoys
- Titleist celebrate 65 years as No.1 ball at the US Open
- Mission Hills Drives Search for Next Chinese Champion
- Gerrard to Link Up With Old Teammates in Aid of Charity at Quinta do Lago
- Ping Collection launch summer shorts range
- Custom Fit - What's it all about
- Golf by Train
- 2011 Season Preview - What did we think ?
- PGA Health for Handicap
- Renaissance of Golf
- Celebrity Interviews - DJ Spoony
- Why Golfshake can help get your game on track.
- Cost of Taking your Clubs Abroad
- Golfshake Birdie Challenge
- The Future is Bright for European Golf