Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What is the most effective way to combat slow play in golf?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 12th Jan 2012 21:23 | Last Reply

Just conduct some research.

What is the most effective way to combat slow play in golf?   discuss .........

re: What is the most effective way to combat slow play in golf?
user78137
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 21:56

Easy!

Machine Gun, lol

I hear you say if only!!!!

user410273
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 22:48

Depends on the circumstances.

• In a competition; penalise a group 2 shots. Put a notice up for a few weeks beforehand stating that beginning 1st April groups will be penaslised for slow play. Chances are it will rarely have to be imposed after the first couple of weeks.
  • For general, through the week, play; a notice advising that a course marshall has been employed to speed up play. 1st instance in a round the marshall will ask you to speed up. 2nd instance in a round the marshall will ask you to pick up your ball and walk to the next tee. 3rd instance in a round you will be asked to leave the course.
  • A notice on the 7th tee saying you should have taken no more than 1hr 20 mins to reach this point, and on the 13th tee saying you should have reached here in less than 2hrs 40 mins.
  • Ideally, education for the few months before the season starts then start applying the 'rules.' Once word gets around people will buck their ideas up.

user52922
    Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 23:29

Interesting points, Brian, but you are condoning slow play with your times. I think fours hours for a fourball is disgraceful, used to be three hours in my day.

user77012
    Reply : Fri 13th Jan 2012 01:50

SALT!!

user369251
    Reply : Fri 13th Jan 2012 09:24

What do you define as slow play? If you have a group of scratch golfers, of course that 4 ball is going to go round in 3 hours. However, if you have a 4ball of high handicappers, they will inevitably take longer and they would expect themselves to do so. Everybody started out as a high handicapper at some point, and we shouldn't begrudge these players trying to improve themselves. What the players who take longer should do is always let the quicker group play through. I played with a lad last year, and it took him nearly 6 hours to get round a 5000yd course. Of course I was frustrated with this, as were many others who we had to let through.However he still obliged to the etiquette of the game and wasn't leaving divots everywhere, just an honest lad trying to improve. He has since gone back to playing par 3 courses though!!!

user410273
    Reply : Fri 13th Jan 2012 10:45

John, "Interesting points, Brian, but you are condoning slow play with your times. I think fours hours for a fourball is disgraceful, used to be three hours in my day."

The 4 hours is a limit, not a target. The Sunday morning 4 ball I sub in usually goes round in about 3hrs 15 mins. Thats on a 6600yds par 72 SSS 73, with the youngest player being 53, and h'caps of 5, 14,16,17. All 4 have electric trolleys, and 2 of 'em have GPS. One has a heart condition, one has 2 false knees, one has prostrate cancer and the other is a 78 yr old having tests for bowel cancer. By doing the right things on the course, pace of play takes care of itself.

user52922
    Reply : Fri 13th Jan 2012 11:58

Sounds like a great fourball to me, Brian and a nice quick round to boot. Well done.

user410273
    Reply : Fri 13th Jan 2012 12:05

We're all coffin dodgers John but with over 130 yrsgolf between us we've got a rough idea how to get aroundwinkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" />

user16106
    Reply : Fri 13th Jan 2012 12:31

Just a bit of education req.

1. Mark your card on the next tee, when it is not your turn to go.

2. When you are waiting for the green to clear, think about your shot and choose your club before it has cleard.

3. Put your bag near the exit of the green towards the next hole.

4. line up your putt when another is takeing theirs ( if not in their eyeline ).

5. Count your score or chat about your last shot after you have left the green.

6. Play a provisional ball if any dought it may be lost.

Just a few, hope it helps. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Wed 18th Jan 2012 15:15

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top