Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lost ball

Posted by: user418682 | Wed 21st Sep 2011 18:49 | Last Reply

Hi guys,

Recently started playing golf and I have a rules query.

Played a par 5 yesterday and my second shot went into a clump of trees, had a look for the ball but could not find it. I know I have a dropped shot but where is the correct place to play the next shot from?  I have just looked on a site that says you should play from where the original ball was last played, does that mean I should have walked back 150 yards to play my next shot? Any help, thanks.

steve

re: Lost ball
user52922
Reply : Wed 21st Sep 2011 18:59

I am afraid so, Steve,. the long trudge back to where you played the original shot from and don't forget to add the penalty shot for the lost ball.

user410273
Reply : Wed 21st Sep 2011 18:59

Hi Steve,

Its called stroke and distance. Yes, you've got to go back to where you last played from. If its just a knock about I'd just drop a ball where you think you've lost the ball and just carry on butif in competition its as per the above.

Brian

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 21st Sep 2011 20:46

If it is deemed unplayable then you have 3 options: -

• Replay the shot from where it was originally played under penalty of one stroke (requires the walk of shame as above)
  • Take a drop within two club lengths from the current position of the ball not nearer the hole under penalty of one stroke. 
  • Take a drop as far back as you wish with the current position of the ball directly between the pin and where the ball is dropped
  • Take time to consider your options as sometimes taking the walk of shame is the best thing to do

user410273
    Reply : Wed 21st Sep 2011 23:34

Steve, just remembered, it isn't always sroke and distance. For example, if you'd lost it in a water hazard. Best Google randa for the definitive answer.

Good luck

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
    Reply : Thu 22nd Sep 2011 18:14

Steve,

The first part of your question has been answered but you also asked  "does that mean I should have walked back 150 yards to play my next shot? Any help, thanks".     

If at any time you think that your ball may be 'Lost' or 'Out of bounds', to save time you can hit a Provisional Ball from the spot you just played from. If you find the original you just pick up the Provisional, but if you can't find the original you now have a ball near-by (adding two shots to your score though).

The only thing to remember is to state clearly that you intent to hit a "Provisional Ball" and not say "I'll just hit another".

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top