Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ryder Cup Quiz.

Posted by: user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 30th Sep 2010 14:43 | Last Reply

Here is a bit of fun. Exrtra marks for years.

RYDER CUP FIRSTS

1. Venue of first "Official" Cup match in UK? CORRECT ANSWER = Moortown given by John Pettitt

2. GB&I Captain? CORRECT ANSWER = Ted Ray as given by John Pettitt

3. US Captain? CORRECT ANSWER = Walter Hagen given by John Pettitt

4. Venue for "Home" match outside England? CORRECT ANSWER = Muirfield given by John Pettitt

5. Venue of "Home" match outside UK? CORRECT ANSWER = VALDERRAMA, given by Alan Gunnigle

6. Year Europe came into being? CORRECT ANSWER = 1979 given by John Pettitt

7. First winning EUROPE Captain? CORRECT ANSWER = Tony Jacklin given by John Pettitt

OTHER FACTS

8. What is Abe Mitchells connection with the Ryder Cup itself? CORRECT ANSWER = It is a figure of him on top of the Cup. given by David Ley              He was Samuel Ryders teacher and friend as David Marshall said.

9. How many GB&I Ryder Cup players have not actually played a game in the Cup?

10. What connects the first holes of 1933, 1937, 1961 and 1977 Ryder Cup venues? CORRECT ANSWER = PAR 3 HOLES given by Alan Gunnigle

11. Who was the last captain to play in his Team? CORRECT ANSWER = Arnold Palmer in 1963 given by David Ley

12. Where & when was the first Tied Match? CORRECT ANSWER = ROYAL BIRKDALE 1969 given by David Marshall

13. What is the biggest individual winning margin for the GB&I side? CLUE:- Early matches were over 36holes. CORRECT ANSWER = 10 & 8 given by James Illsley. In 1929 George Duncan bt Walter Hagen 10&8 in a singles. Two years later in a Foursome Hagen got his revenge winning 10 & 9.

14. Which course is missing and why? MOORTOWN - ?????????? - LINDRICK CORRECT ANSWER = Ganton, Yorkshire venues in order, given by James Illsley

15. Which Leeds course was to be the original venue for a Match but lost out to another course at a very late stage?

See how you do.

TheLyth

Last edit : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 22:34
re: Ryder Cup Quiz.
user235379
Reply : Fri 1st Oct 2010 22:37

#5-  valderama

#10- par 3's

Last edit : Fri 1st Oct 2010 22:38
user16163
Reply : Sat 2nd Oct 2010 16:25

188 views but no answers in 24hrs.

thats because we are all watching the golf lyth

user235379
Reply : Sat 2nd Oct 2010 16:29

plus my trivia is crap

user52922
Reply : Sat 2nd Oct 2010 19:19

1.  Moortown Golf club

2. Bernard Hunt

3.  Walter Hagen

4.  Muirfield

6.  1979

7.  Tony Jacklin

11 Sam Torrance

12 Royal Birkdale 1965

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 11:51

David,

Your answers to questions 8 & 13 are not what was asked.

Question 8 asked his connection to the CUP ITSELF.

Question 13 aks for and INDIVIDUAL score.

George Duncan was captain of the 2nd GB&I Cup side (held at Moortown GC). I was looking for the Captain of the 1st GB&I Cup side although I admit it does seem question 2 was linked to question 1.

TheLyth 

user77012
Reply : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 12:36

8) He's standing on top of it.

user52922
Reply : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 13:33

Lyth, confusing questions indeed as the side was not called Great Britain and Ireland until 1973, hence my answer of Bernard Hunt.

So I will have to change my answer to Ted Ray.

Abe Mitchell was picked both as a player and Captain for the inaugural 1927 encounter but did not travel because of illness.

user77012
Reply : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 13:46

11) was it Jackie Burke 1957 ? played as one off his team was unable due to a chapped a#se.

Reply : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 18:18

JP,

Yes its my fault, I forgot that change and noting that some places called it GB&I in the records going back to 1927 I left it as that.

TheLyth

user131525
Reply : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 20:34

13. 10 and 8 - George Duncan 1929

14. Ganton - Yorkshire's 3 Ryder Cup courses

user77012
Reply : Sun 3rd Oct 2010 21:01

11) Arnold Palmer the year i was born 1975 joking '63

Reply : Tue 5th Oct 2010 12:33

Here are all the answers. John Pettitt got six correct so is the WINNER.

RYDER CUP FIRSTS

1. Venue of first "Official" Cup match in UK? CORRECT ANSWER = Moortown given by John Pettitt

2. GB&I Captain? CORRECT ANSWER = Ted Ray as given by John Pettitt

3. US Captain? CORRECT ANSWER = Walter Hagen given by John Pettitt

4. Venue for "Home" match outside England? CORRECT ANSWER = Muirfield given by John Pettitt

5. Venue of "Home" match outside UK? CORRECT ANSWER = VALDERRAMA, given by Alan Gunnigle

6. Year Europe came into being? CORRECT ANSWER = 1979 given by John Pettitt

7. First winning EUROPE Captain? CORRECT ANSWER = Tony Jacklin given by John Pettitt

OTHER FACTS

8. What is Abe Mitchells connection with the Ryder Cup itself? CORRECT ANSWER = It is a figure of him on top of the Cup. given by David Ley              He was Samuel Ryders teacher and friend as David Marshall said.

9. How many GB&I Ryder Cup players have not actually played a game in the Cup? CORRECT ANSWER = 7. GB named a side for 1939 but the match was not played but all eight players named played in other cup matches in their career.

10. What connects the first holes of 1933, 1937, 1961 and 1977 Ryder Cup venues? CORRECT ANSWER = PAR 3 HOLES given by Alan Gunnigle

11. Who was the last captain to play in his Team? CORRECT ANSWER = Arnold Palmer in 1963 given by David Ley

12. Where & when was the first Tied Match? CORRECT ANSWER = ROYAL BIRKDALE 1969 given by David Marshall

13. What is the biggest individual winning margin for the GB&I side? CLUE:- Early matches were over 36holes. CORRECT ANSWER = 10 & 8 given by James Illsley. In 1929 George Duncan bt Walter Hagen 10&8 in a singles. Two years later in a Foursome Hagen got his revenge winning 10 & 9.

14. Which course is missing and why? MOORTOWN - ?????????? - LINDRICK CORRECT ANSWER = Ganton, Yorkshire venues in order, given by James Illsley

15. Which Leeds course was to be the original venue for a Match but lost out to another course at a very late stage? CORRECT ANSWER = Temple Newsam or Leeds Municipal GC. The two courses at Temple Newsam today are nothing like what would have been the course used for the Ryder Cup. Coal Mining meant a re-design of the course that would have been used.

Hope you all enjoyed it.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top