New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

club membership

Posted by: user320351 | Mon 23rd Aug 2010 00:00 | Last Reply

After looking into several options in my area, I decided not to join any club. For example Mansfield Woodhouse is around £300 a year. That is a round 2 weeks out of 3 to get your money back. Mansfield Golf centre is about £500 for full 7 day pass is obviously a round week. I think that all golfers regardless of handicap like the challenge of playing new courses and entering tournaments organised by websites such as this. 

To get cheap golf deals check out vouchermania.com and mygroupon.com. I have got Southwell golf course for a fiver, Oakmere 2 for 1 and Springwater a round for 2 including swing analysis, buggy hire, driving range, a sandwich and a beer for the vast sum of £25.

My thoughts are why spend £500 a year to play one course when if you look hard enough you can play loads of different courses for probably less money. eg 18 at oakmere and 18 at southwell will cost me less than £20 in one day. Spend £15 a year on this website and you will do well

Have fun

SDS 

re: club membership
user24437
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 00:11

Very true Scott, but some people approach golf from different viewpoints.  Personally, I like being a golf tart and feel I know a course intimately if I play 4 rounds there!  Some people, such as the pair I played with last week, play 3 or 4 games a week on their home course and that's it.  One of them has only played 5 other courses in his 30 years of membership*.  It's whatever floats your boat. 

* And I shot an 84 to his 88, despite being of similar handicap and only my 3rd round there - just in case anyone's interested! 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 09:03

I'm currently deliberating over this scenario.

When I first took up golf 12 years ago, and could hit the ball, I had very little personal responsibilities and fortunately through work had Corporate membership of a decent course in Derbyshire so got to play pretty much when I wanted which meant I could happily play to an handicap of around 20.

For the last 8 years, as well as spending most of my time running/developing Golfshake/Golfscoretracker, I've had 2 children and started my own business.  So my spare time's been limited which means I couldn't justify the golf membership but unfortunately with not playing regularly means my golf is to say the least up and down

For me, still having time constraints, the nomadic golf approach doesn't really work because I have little spare time and therefore it becomes difficult to get the deals at the times when I am free.

So if I truly want to get my handicap down I need regular golf and for me the club approach seems the most sensible because it would allow me to turn up and play golf pretty much whenever I wanted.

The deciding factor in the above of course is cost!  c 

user329702
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 11:04

My membership is £515 a year, and a round for non members is £35 you do the math.

plus I get to tell non pre booked members to get off the tee andlet me throug that alone is worth £200 a year :¬

user332192
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 11:25

So far havent joined a club, but am re-thinking the whole issue. There is something to be said for social life as a member, you get to know folks.

user320351
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 11:49

I take on board what has been said and everyone is entitled to their opinions. At the moment I cannot justify the outlay of £500 for course/club membership, as I would like to play various courses. With the various vouchers and offers I collect I will probably not spend any more than £500. As my game gets better and more importantly I have the money it could be a possibility to join a course.

It would be interesting to see a comparison over a decent period of time.

I will endeavour to do this starting with my next round and for the next 6 months, I will not include hire of equipment, range balls etc, only green fees.

For my last 4 rounds this has come to £30.90 (3 rounds at Mansfield Golf centre and 1 at Mansfield Woodhouse)

I do understand the benefits of joining a club and my original post was not a criticism of club membership or members, simply my desire to play different golf courses in my area. I have time constraints and can only really play midweek.

But to say that nomadic golfers are not interested in traditions and competitive play is somewhat out of order. I strictly follow the rules of golf as most others do and certainly follow game etiquette (which a minority of club members in my area certainly do not, and quite happily will hold a 2 ball up whilst they are playing a 4 ball). Yes I can't play in club medals but there are many tournament opens and charity days to certainly play competitively. There are several on this site advertised which are within reasonable driving distance to me. 

Each to their own. 

user259181
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 12:15

I joined a club when I started for £880 a year.....if I play once a week then it is still alot less than £20 a round (great value !)....I play on average 3 times a week (i get out early in the morning !) BUT the best thing for my golf progression has been to have access to practice facilities and not just the range!. I really believe that to get better you really need to practice away from the course.....take what you learn onto the course and don't use your rounds as a means of practice.

This does mean that I don't see as many other courses as I would like....but as I get better (hopefully) I'll get more involved in the inter-club competiton side of things and get to try the other courses in my county

nomad golf is fine.....but unless you have access to practice areas then I don't believe it is simple to get your h/c down

user259181
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 12:35

also £880 sounds alot ....but for the Harrogate area it is not....also it is only 2 miles from my house, some of the slightly cheaper courses near me would require a 30 min drive and over a year would add a couple of hundred pounds in fuel....so not actually cheaper at all

user320351
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 12:53

As previously stated I like to play a variety of courses and do not wish to be tied down to a particular club. If I can get it cheaper then why not. If it cost £100 for a round at a course but I can get it for £65 then I know which I would pay.  

A friend of mine who lives in the south recently played Mansfield golf centre and commented at how good the course is and was astounded at the cost being so cheap. Also on another forum topic one person stated that we are lucky in the midlands to have such a variety of good courses regardless of cost.  

Also at what point did I mention about club prices. An expensive driver doesn't make a difference if you can't drive the ball to begin with all I have stated is that I can get to play often for cheaper than is advertised. I am quite happy to pay larger amounts of money for a round but if I can get it cheaper then why not.

Cotgrave golf club has a green fee of £38 according to their website, what is the problem if I can play the same course on a Saturday afternoon for £18 by booking through a 3rd party website. Cotgrave is part of crown golf. The link to the 3rd party website is available on this website, the one that says cheap tee times.

I will make the comparisons over the next 6 months as it would be an interesting experiment and its being done as a cost comparison not to impress anyone. If i was trying to impress anyone it would be through my prowess on the course (which I have none hence 28 handicap) in a match. Perhaps I will enter next years matchplay championship 

Also what are the traditions I am not interested in and why by getting cheap deals on 100's of courses does it mean that I am not interested in them. I have the equipment, I follow the rules and follow golf etiquette. I play golf as I enjoy it. Not so I can be an elitist.

SDS 

user262865
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 13:17

if you are playing a years worth of golf for under £500 without joining a golf course you are not playing very much golf. well not as much as i like to play anyway.

my course cost me 300 for the year but if i payed each time i went it would cost me over 2000 a year as i calculated last year. i like to get out as much as possible and can sometimes go 7days a week but usually its between 2 and 4.

it also has the added benefit that if im a bit skint at the end of the month or whatever and fancy a game  it doesnt matter i can just pick up my clubs and off i go and i dont need money. my course has another membership scheme where you can pay £50 membership and then only 4 every time you go out (its normally 15) but even that would cost me a lot more over a year than the 300 ive paid.

yeah i like to try different courses and still do at least a couple of times a month but its more about improbving my game and being able to go out whenever suits me is helping me do that

user320351
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 13:36

I think you hit the nail on the head David, it depends on how many times a week you like to go. Time constraints and other responsibilities can often limit how many times I can play a week. So the Nomadic approach suits me very well at the moment. If however the money i spend over the next 6 months to a year comes to more than club membership I will reconsider. One of the reasons I will do a price comparison over the next 6 months on all the various courses I play. 

But for me at the moment I can play Mansfield golf centre for £8 a round during the week and it is a good course better than some of the more expensive ones I have played. If I played once a week it would add up to £416 per year. Membership costs £500 a year. If I played that course more than once a week I would soon get bored of it and would want to play other courses which would cost me more. 

What cheesed me off is that some of the replies seemed to make out that I don't take my golf seriously as I am not a member of a club.

SDS 

user106712
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 14:32

I pay £50 per month for 5 day membership at De-vere Oulton Hall. that works out at 12 per week. And I usually play twice a week. For that I can play any other Dever course for free. Also , with a congu handicap I play open comps at other clubs for a very low cost (usually £15 ish ).and there are loads of them. Just look on golfempire.co.uk

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 14:58

Being a Member of a Club is totally up to the individual. JP and myself, plus others have had the benifit of what a Club Membership can give and have reeped the rewards.

As a Member and being rained off after a couple of holes is nothing but if you have just handed over £20 to play its does matter.

As a member you can just turn up and play/practice when you want and for how long you want.

As a member the cost of refreshments can be 15% lower.

Here is a PLUS for being a Member.

Membership £525 + £10 Locker, paid by D/D = £48.53 pcm.

Entry to 45 Comps @ £3each = £135

Comp Winnings over season = £135 so FREE Competition. During my time at Filey I never had to buy a Turkey at Christmas, I won it, as did many of the Playing Members. Fifteen Birds a year were on offer, plus bottles of Booze etc.

Team Member, be it Scratch, Nett or Club Team.

Away matches include a Meal so Filey Scratch Team 2003 =

Scarborough North Cliff £22, Hull £26.50, Hornsea £22, Driffield £20, Beverley £15 & Ganton £65. Total £170.50. Then the guys you played could invite you to Invitation Day, so a secong Free visit.

Also being a Member of a Club gives you an open invitation to play any course in the World, something that is not available to a Nomadic Golfer.

As I said earlier "to each their own" I would go for being a Club Member over a Nomad at all times.

TheLyth

Last edit : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 15:04
user252224
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 16:11

after reading all the comments on this thread it appears to me that that the replies are becoming a bit spiteful against each other.

I am a member of a club but am also a nomadic golfer, by the way of agreements between clubs and the building of freindships with golfers who are members at other clubs I can play almost where i like in the kent either for free or at greatly reduced prices.

Also being a member of a club i can play before the pro shop opens and after it has closed.

So I peronnally feel that being a member has more advantages than being nomadic

user69191
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 16:16

I payed £260 this year for 7 days golf, it was a limited offer at the club I was already a member of. This includes everything. I would never have improved if I hadn't joined a club.

user259181
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 16:37

nomadic golf has it's place for people...no doubt about it, but unless you have access to decent practice facilities also you will find it very difficult to improve and maintain/continue that improvement. It's the reason I joined a club rather than be nomadic......also the social side can be great fun too.

If however you are happy going to new clubs all the time and having the non-prime tee times etc etc than that is good too and I hope it works for you, but for me it was about getting better at this game and I believe I would still be a 24+ h/c right now if I did not join a club.

user320351
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 16:53

I will pay for what I want to play, if I want to play St Andrews I know it will cost the same amount for me as it would for 99% of other people. If that is what I want to do then so be it. 

My logic is that I like to play a variety of course as I will quickly get bored of playing the same course 2 or 3 times a week. As for being a member of a club I have not given negative comments about it, see a previous post, I can see the benefits. For me playing where I want and when I want  is a big plus. I will not spend £500 this year on green fees but will get to play twice a week and challenge myself everytime as it is a different course. As my findings will show. If players want to play the same course then crack on, its just not for me.

The example of Cotgrave golf club green fees was an example. Why pay £38 when I can pay £18. Shirlands golf club,why pay £18 when i can pay £6 

Further to my previous question what traditions am i not following or what am i missing out on by not being a member of a club. The financial aspect is there for everyone to see, how many times will you play a week and are you ok with it being repetitive. For me its the repetitiveness that puts me off. As for financial why pay £38 when you can pay £18 for the same thing.

What cheesed me off is that some of the replies seemed to make out that I don't take my golf seriously as I am not a member of a club.

One cannot be considered serious at golf if you do not join a club, in my opinion. That is why they have them and the play and pays are for the rest of you.

That comment is what turns the ordinary everyday person away from playing our fantastic game. 

Surely what makes somebody serious at golf is what scores they post and how they do in competitive play and not being a member of a club. As long as the rules are being followed and etiquette then what is the problem. At what point have I said that being a club member makes you a bad golfer or a bad person. I have simply stated the benefits for me by not joining a course. 

Some of the comments made by a 1 or 2 people have made are personal attack on what i like to do. After all I have 2 kids to raise and a job to do. I get when I can.

There are a number of beginner golfers who will not play such a fine game because of attitudes such as this. 

As previously stated what are the traditions I do not follow. Is it that I can have a drink with my wife in the same room after a round (sherwood golf club has 2 seperate rooms for men and women) or I haven't got the right to do the secret handshake. I have not personally attacked any member of this website but it seems that it can be done back to me.  

If had to have the choice of Happy Gilmore or Shooter McGavin, I would choose Happy everytime. My choice is my choice it does not make me a bad golfer or a bad person. 

I play golf because I enjoy it and thats it. If you want to join a club then that is your choice and I respect you for it. For me, I am happy playing when and where I want to.

We will see what my findings bring. I enjoy playing thats it. Lets hope that the Matchplay happens next year and the nomads do well

SDS 

Last edit : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 17:27
user69191
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 17:16

I don't think people are attacking you Scott, maybe just disagreeing a bit, although some do agree with you. For a few years I paid and played different courses until I found the cost was beyond my means, twice a week at about £20 a time, sometimes 3 times a week. I decided to join my local club 4 years ago paying at the time £44 a month, for unlimited golf. I play nearly every day and this does not stop me playing other courses either, I too can play where I like, more or less when I like. And another plus side is playing in the away league matches, this costs nothing. Nothing at all has stopped me from playing 14 other courses this year as well as being a member. I'm sure that this isn't many compared to some of the other members of golf courses on this site.

user320351
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 17:37

I am all for a healthy debate for the pro's and con's of club membership and have enjoyed the banter. But to state that I don't take golf seriously because I am not a member of a club is a little to far. 

I know that that the majority of people are not attacking me and I thank them for their comments and advice. It was just the one that stated I am not a serious golfer because I am not affiliated to a club. Pity as it seems that the person in question has given some good advice on recent posts.

Would love to know about the traditions I am not following or aware of though, please let me know everyone 

SDS 

user259181
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 19:50

Two very different views coming from different angles

If what you are after is a more social orientated golfing hobby then I can see how the nomad life can work for you, but if you want to be as good as you can be then it is not the path that will help you.....this is where I think the 'being serious' about your golf does not fit with being a nomad.

If you truly get the golf bug and want to follow it, then being a member of a club is the only way.

If you are happy being a nomad (and probably a high handicapper with it) then good for you, for me it doesn't satisfy my competitve desires. Everyone is different - but I must say that unless a course is really badly designed, I find it hard to think that I'd ever get bored of playing a course. At the start of every round is an opportunity to do better than you have before, so many different shots,angles.....trying to beat yourself and the course (you'll never do it!)

good luck in whatever you choose - but I think that if this sport really grabs you...you will become a member of a club and wonder why you did not do it earlier.....cashflow allowing!

Last edit : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 19:52
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 20:46

I've deleted replies that didn't really aid the discussion and were of a more personal nature rather than an online social forum

user320351
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 20:54

where ever I lay my hat and the rest of it. 

Just for the record, I didn't attack anybody. Good luck guys

SDS 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 21:39

Scott (or SDS if you prefer!),

I was exactly the same as you during my formative years of golf.  I was typically playing the local munis (Birmingham has 7) with the odd "treat" thrown in.  I always felt I would never join a club as I would get bored playing the same course week in, week out.  Then I played the PGA at the Belfry - a tough course if you've never played it. Whenever I went and played elsewhere, I found myself wanting to go back and try to tame that PGA beast again.  This is when I realised that I had found 'my' course. 

I joined for the last two months of the year (pro-rata) and made a point of playing nowhere else to see if I got bored.  I didn't, although membership did allow me to play the Derby if I wished.  I became a member as soon as I was able to.  

I completely understand where you are coming from.  What I think you will find as you get more into the game and improve, you will start to think more seriously about membership.  As to where, I think you just maybe haven't found 'your' course yet

user304529
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 22:01

what sort of club, ?      municipal play as u play with members which generally dont have a joining fee. £750 p.a. or a private members club with a joining fee which is normally 1/2 a years subs. £500 fee, £1000 p.a.

the thing is with playing the same course is you can judge your progress better than playing different course which give an inconsisent result because of there difficulty or lack of.

at my local course i regulary shoot 95 but at the course other side of town u can take 10 shotts of that cause its a lot more open and easier.

i think this is also a reason a normadic golfer can't acheive a true hpc.

Last edit : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 22:21
user249845
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 22:16

Another bonus is that being a member of a club may allow you to get a county card, which gives you access to reduced green fees at other courses in your area if you also want to play other courses.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 22:52

Not that I know of, interestingly Cotgrave is a Crown venue but is currently under offer to be sold.  Like mentioned above quite a few are members of the County Golf scheme 

user320351
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 23:05

Certainly has been fun on this thread.

SDS 

user249845
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 23:18

Sanders, theres the Jack Barker group with a few courses. I have only been to 1 of them, but it needed a bit of tlc, better signage, sand in bunkers, grass cutting on tee boxes etc. It was quite cheap though.

user34514
Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 21:41

Personally i think its down to each individuals circumstances. I have been playing a while though very irregular.  I probably have only been around an 18 hole about 7 or 8 times.  I would love to join a club but the snootyness of some and the attitudes of others put me off as i feel i would be looked down on.  I would like the thought of a club helping me improve to enable me to enter comps and enter the social side of things.  I work shifts and have two kids to look after so i can not guarentee regular golf as i also do not know many people who play.  Joining a club may change that but i would not want to part with x amount of money to risk it. 

As the OP says i am currently happy at present as i have recently started playing a few courses using 2 for 1 vouchers, special 4 ball offers etc etc and thereby saving money.  I genuinely could not afford to pay £40 a round every two weeks the same as i can not afford £50 a month to join a club on the basis of not guarentteeing regular golf.  If i could play at least once a week then i would seriously think of joining a club.

It certainly does not mean i think less of the game. Im looking at getting lessons and hopefully improve my game. Only then i may think about a club otherwise i feel people with look down on me.  It all depends on what you can afford in relation to the amount of golf you play.  You would not pay £20000 for a new car when you will only use it once a month to drive 1 mile to the shop and back.  Use it every day and your getting your monies worth.

user249845
Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 21:50

Joining a club does not have to be an expensive excercise.

I started playing golf last year, and decided at the start of this year to join a municipal club for the cost of £70. Included in that price was 3 rounds with which to gain my starting handicap.

OK, I still have to pay a green fee each time I go, but at least it's a start and a cheap way of holding an official CONGU handicap, should I wish to take part in competitions away from the club.

If my work was as plentiful and as lucrative as it has been in previous years, I would join a more 'upmarket' club with all the practise facilities and social events etc.

I would agree with previous posts that by joining a club and playing regularly with different people is one of the best ways to learn and improve.

Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 22:53

Is that the Birmingham Munis Martin?  They used to do a scheme where you paid £70 and were a member at one, a declared allegance if you like, but could play all of them anytime for £5.  You had full handicap priveledges and could anter all the comps too

user249845
Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 23:00

Yes, I joined Pype Hayes, even though it's the opposite side of the city to where I live, because it seems to hold up better than any of the others in winter.

I don't think that £5 scheme exists anymore though.

Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 23:15

Know Pype Hayes well, only live 10 minutes up the road (Castle Bromwich). A nice mature course that the traditionalists would like.  A couple of years ago they held an open day there to try to encourage membership.  The few weeks before they put a lot of effort into greenkeeping and the course was superb, better than some of the local private courses.  A real shame they couldn't keep it like that.  

The course does tend to get a little waterlogged in places after a few days of heavy rain and they have trolley bans in winter.  Should be nice when the new clubhouse is finshed too

Learned my golf around the back 9 of Hatchfor Brook and used to play every Sunday morning at Pype Hayes, Hilltop or Hatchford

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 24th Aug 2010 23:35

Martin,

Thats the best way to start. Here in Leeds, Club Membership of any of the four Muni's is about £100pa and for another £400 (season ticket) you can play all five courses.

Some years ago my then Club Roundhay won the NAPGC Championship at Pype Hayes.

TheLyth

user107198
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 00:47

Interesting debate, and one which I can certainly see both sides of, being a member-turned-nomad. Two points I'd like to make - 1) Personally, I got bored being a member playing the same course week in week out. That was my main concern before I joined, and the thought that I was missing out on all those other courses never went away. Plus, I didn't play for much of the winter, meaning my £48 a month was wasted (admittedly this was both my fault and avoidable). 2) To whoever said 'you can't get a true handicap until you join a club' or words to that effect - I couldn't disagree more. I know plenty of people who are like fish out of water anywhere other than their club, and haven't a hope in hell of playing to their handicap anywhere else. How can that be a true reflection of their golfing ability?  At the end of the day, it's all down to the individual. There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument, and always will be. I'm happy being a nomad but still toy with the idea of joining my local club (my previous one was further away but "better". Maybe I will next year. Either way I won't go around telling people with opposing opinions that they're wrong.

Last edit : Wed 25th Aug 2010 00:48
user320696
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 01:21

I will consider joining a club when i eventually find my comfatable game play and hopefully find the right golf club to join.

user320351
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 08:14

In response to John Buckles quote,  

I would love to join a club but the snootyness of some and the attitudes of others put me off as i feel i would be looked down on.

I am with you mate. It can be off putting, but after playing springwater on a deal yesterday with nath ratcliffe, some of the members we spoke to were cracking blokes. However some of the courses I have played when members of been on, I have had a mare. I have nearly been hit on the head with no shout on a par 3. A member hit that, a 5 ball wouldn't let a 3 ball through and got really funny with us when we asked to be. The 5 ball had a junior with them and you would have thought they would be teaching them etiquette.

But I have had some really good advice off members of various clubs when I have been invited to play with them. Sometimes turning up alone at a course can be a good thing, I have been invited for a round several times. The best piece of advice was 'don't worry if it takes loads to get to the green, always try to 2 putt'. If I manage this I always walk away feeling happy even if its a blob hole.

From my limited experience I have found that the good members always outweigh the bad members in both number, the time and politeness that they will give you. 

Its the same in life, there always be one idiot no matter what you do.

For me though, I am happy being a nomad and will let golfshake sort out my handicap.

SDS 

user77834
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 20:26

I personally think the De Vere Club is perfect for so many of these arguments

£295 - Not bank breaking, enabling you to be able to play opens and society golf

16 courses - avoids the familiarity of one course every week

Congu handicap available, you just have to pay your county affiliation fee

Competitive or Social golf available

Seems to tick all the boxes to me

user102161
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 23:04

I started to play Golf about 5 years ago and having had lessons i managed to get 3 rounds in with someone who was a member at a club in my first year of playing. Since then i think the most i have played in any one year is 6 times. For me it's finding the time to play. The people who get to play 3 or 4 times a week are very lucky that they have time to do this and i am sure they are getting their moneys worth from having a club memebership. I personally would love to be a member of my local club as i really am enjoying my golf even though i am nowhere near getting my Handicap score down from 28 at the moment. I have to look for bargain teetime offers online when i know i will have a day to play Golf. I usually go on my own as i feel i can concentrate more on improving my game. I have paired up with members twice before at my local club and really enjoyed the time i spent with them. They were both at different handicap levels from each other so was interesting to get their advice/tips and share their thoughts on the game.

Until i either win the lottery or retire from work i can't ever see myself becoming a member because £500 - £600 a year for 5 or 6 games is too much!.

I hope my boss/wife reads this as i would like a year off to play Golf.

I would agree that there must be huge benefits to being a member in regards to improving your game and getting to meet some great people

user320696
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 23:06

That sounds perfect for me and my friend SDS but we seem to be finding alot of great offers for different courses at the moment but deffinatly a great membership there

user320351
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 23:08

like the boss/wife bit, mine is exactly the same, plus she is an accountant so have to provide the receipts to prove it. 

SDS 

user40607
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 23:46

Hi Scott have you played Hucknall golf centre.The membership is £385 a year for 7 days, and i`am informed that this will be same price next year,and if you know any one who is a member at Hucknall they can introduce a friend for £25 from september1st to march 31st.This course does not belong to Jack Barker any more and the new owner will be makeing improvements to the course.

user320351
Reply : Thu 26th Aug 2010 08:20

Thanks for the info Paul, we will check Hucknall out and have a few rounds on there.

SDS 

user320696
Reply : Fri 27th Aug 2010 13:53

Will try go next week scott see if there any offers at hucknall.Do you know what the golf clubs called paul.

user11501
Reply : Fri 27th Aug 2010 16:19

The golf club is called Leen Valley. Don't think about playing there. Place is an absolute dog. Underneath the fairways  is all rock and stone built on an old slagheap of Huckanll Pit

user38216
Reply : Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:11

Just had my annual subs through, £1004. Ouch, double ouch considering I am playing dreadful at the minute.

user320696
Reply : Sat 28th Aug 2010 21:27

Thanks for the reply martin

user293240
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 10:55

Thats a great website SDS thanks.

I used to be a nomad but then trying to play this game better and having my time and money limited it worked out better for me to join a club. Ive played it loads and have improved generally and still get to go and play elsewhere maybe once a month.

Its six of one and half dozen of the other, we are all different as are our needs. I dont think anything has really changed in my appreciation of the game and I'm certainly always learing new stuff so nomad or club? whatever floats your boat

user320351
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 15:34

am actually thinking of biteing the bullet and joining up. Currently looking at Shirlands golf course in alfreton derbyshire. But I have to give up smoking first. What a dilema the joys of golf or the first drag of the morning

SDS

user259181
Reply : Sun 29th Aug 2010 16:32

Scott,

I see you have changed your mind in the last week (not a dig), I think if you do become a member you'll see very quickly what has been said previous about it holds true - the most important thing being that you will get better at this game much quicker!

enjoy your adventure

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Golfbreaks.com

Scroll to top