Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Anybody using an Android App that you would recommend?

Posted by: user106118 | Tue 3rd Aug 2010 12:32 | Last Reply

I just got myself an new HTC Desire and can't wait to use a GPS/Scorecard program .. any reccomendations?

What about Golfshake having its own GPS/Scorecard app integrated with the website .. or partenring with one of the app developers to make it compatible ..

That would be awsome ;-)

re: Anybody using an Android App that you would recommend?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 3rd Aug 2010 12:34

Yep it would be so awesome, I've wasted many an hour on it but have yet to reach a sensible solution.

Watch this space though.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 3rd Aug 2010 15:55

I think the popular consensus is Freecaddie for GPS data, howfarami for simple driving distance and take your pick for score tracking.

user26342
Reply : Tue 3rd Aug 2010 16:29

All good ideas but I think you'll find that phones etc have been banned from competitions. so you'll no longer be able to use them in the monthly medal etc.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 3rd Aug 2010 16:34

Can't you tell Floody has a 'proper' GPS and is all snobby and sniffy cos mine was free

user26342
Reply : Tue 3rd Aug 2010 16:37

Chris,

your okay as you don't play proper golf anyway

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 31st Dec 2010 22:17

Richard, will provide some updates in 2011. Watch this space.

user118394
Reply : Sat 1st Jan 2011 09:26

i used skydroid on my android very good app but its very draining on the battery

user127691
Reply : Sat 1st Jan 2011 10:48

I used to use freecaddie for my iphone but it was miles out at my home course so I switched to golf shot GPS. I have now switched to an Android phone I have brought golf shot again for this format and must say I think it is outstanding. Much better than the freecaddie apps, it is a little more expensive but well worth it.

Phone GPS are banned for comps because they can apparantly give wind direction, speed and read greens, I wish someone would show me how they did that. I see people using them all the time in our comps no-one bothers really as I don't think people use them to get anything but yardeages out of them but I would imagine  if you played with a stickler he could get you DQ'd for using it.

So if you want to use something for a comp then get a real GPS as Mr Flood recomends but if it's just for casual use then they are ideal.

user26342
Reply : Sat 1st Jan 2011 16:55

I would just be happy being able to post on the forums via my android phone angryhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/angry_smile.gif" title="angry" />

Last edit : Sat 1st Jan 2011 16:56
user200639
Reply : Tue 8th Sep 2015 13:03

I use Easy scorecard pro, but I wait till I get to the club hiuse to input my scores whilst having a weel earned pint.

Last edit : Tue 8th Sep 2015 13:03
user53837
Reply : Tue 8th Sep 2015 14:46

Golfshake android app about 4 weeks away. iOS version currently in final live testing and due very very soon !

Last edit : Tue 8th Sep 2015 14:46
user409601
Reply : Fri 11th Sep 2015 19:52

golf pad GPS is the best one i have found (I do not pay, use the free service but will upgrade as gives you more options for shot types etc

Last edit : Fri 11th Sep 2015 19:52
user656105
Reply : Sat 12th Sep 2015 13:12

I also use the free golf pad GPS. It seems pretty accurate and the hole "fly bys" are excellent if you are on a blind hole or you want to know how far a lake comes over your line. Finally you can tap the screen to get distance to hazards etc if you want to know carry over a bunker.

It has the added advantage of being able to add your own course details and get it updated. I added the Breedon Academy course on there and within a week it was on there ready to use.

Last edit : Sat 12th Sep 2015 13:12

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top