Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Looking for a decent golf club in SW London for a beginner

Posted by: user307937 | Thu 3rd Jun 2010 12:52 | Last Reply

Hi guys.

I'm just starting out in the game, been playing on and off for a couple of years and a bit more regularly recently.  Very much a beginner, I can hit the ball a long way but am woefully inconsistent and have a crap shortgame, shooting around 100-105 at the moment.

I'm looking for a club to join in or around SW london that is not too daunting for a golfer of my lowly standard and isn't too expensive.  Any recommendations?

(By not too expensive I looking for under £90 a month and no joining fee)

Courses I have played in the area:

• Traditions, Surrey
  • Surrey National
  • Richmond Park - Princes
  • Richmond Park - Dukes

Favourite of these is Traditions.

Thanks,

Stuart.

re: Looking for a decent golf club in SW London for a beginner
user93410
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 16:41

Stuart - Depends where you live.  I joined Wimbledon Common at the end of last year and am very glad I did.  The course is an acquired taste but I like it.  Is costing me just £540 for 5 day membership (or about £5 a round!).  The course is relatively short at 5450 yards but is interesting and a good test.  There are three par 3's at over 225 yards...  You need to keep the ball relatively straight and have a good short game to score well.  Downside is that the course is played over common land and the public/ dog walkers have right of way.  However, that's not usually a problem once you have got used to it.  The greens are kept in exceptional condition and it's a friendly club.

If you live closer to Traditions then I can see the benefit of that with associated access to Pyrford, Hampton Court and other Crown courses.

Perhaps also consider Silvermere.

If you want any other info on Wimbledon then PM me.

Last edit : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 16:43
user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 17:48

I too can vouch for Wimbledon Common as I was a member there for three years, Very long and difficult par threes, a very narrow course and though short overall, this is because only one par five, the course is a very good test indeed, especially for the lower handicap player, as I was then.

Both the courses at Richmond Park are very good, but unfortunately no club there to join.

Mitcham Common G.C. is another very good test of golf with greens that are always immaculate. They have a very strong club in respect of members and competition.

I notice you like Traditions, but not one of my favourites, even though it is one of Crown Golfs and their group has many courses for you to play for nothing once a member, so worth thinking about.

Surrey National is not a golf course in my opinion.

Last edit : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 19:00
user93410
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 18:50

When were you a member John?  Should I look out for your name on the boards?

user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 18:59

Well Stuart, pleased that you agreed with me about Surrey National. Wimbledon will restrict your week-end play as no play is permitted past 2.00pm on a Sunday.

I have always liked Richmond Park just for the fact that one can just turn up and the Pro shop soon sorts you out with a a game, but there is no club membership like other clubs.

Don't forget that being a Merton resident gives you the opportunity to play Royal Wimbledon a Monday for a very cheap price. Well worth taking up as it is an excellent course.

Last edit : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 19:06
user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 19:06

Charles, if my memory serves me well, I think it was late 80's early nineties. Jeff will know of me, I am sure, as I was a 6 handicap player there. I was driving trucks at that time to Greece, so had little time to play any of the board competitions, just liked the course so much, even though the tightness made me more and more paranoid.

The first time I played there I shot a 68 but never did it again, not an easy course for a good player with the SSS and CSS making it very difficult for the low handicapper.

user93410
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 19:29

John - let me know if you want to come back and have a game sometime.  Agreed about the SSS/CSS difficulty.  I'm hoping to get my handicap down to 9 this year but think that's more likely for my golfshake handicap rather than my club handicap!

user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 19:51

Monday 5th July I am at St. Georges Hospital for an 1130 appointment. Would love to play in the afternoon, if you are able to. I think I can find a red top.

user93410
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 20:32

That should be fine John.  In the diary.   If anyone wants to join us let me know.  Think I can sign guests in for £15.  Pillar box red tops (which are obligatory) can be hired/ borrowed from the club.

Re the other thread I'm going to be under serious pressure with my wedges!!

user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 20:49

NO pressure, Charles, I am very easy to play with, I give nothing but encouragement.

user93410
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 21:07

Look forward to it John.  What sort of time do you want to pencil in for the tee?    I can be flexible if you get delayed.

user77012
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 21:52

Oooh I might have a small job to do in Wimbledon on the 5th

Last edit : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 21:53
user93410
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 22:06

Dave - would be good to see you.  It's a long way from the valleys though!

user77012
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 22:20

Charles be nice to catch up with yourself and don't worry we have a motorway now. ;;LOL;;  I won't know until nearer the time ,but Mondays are usually a good day for me.

user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 23:06

David, you have to keep it on the straight and narrow at Wimbledon Common, I can assure you. You will have to get a bright red shirt though.

user52922
Reply : Thu 3rd Jun 2010 23:08

Charles, I am getting all excited again now, I never thought I would get the chance to play there again. I would think 2.00pm would be OK. I am sure to struggle though as there will be no buggies, unless they have them now, but I doubt it.

user93410
Reply : Fri 4th Jun 2010 20:57

John - 2pm is good for me.  Hopefully that is also okay for you Dave.  You're right - there are no buggies - hopefully that won't be too much of a problem?    Will liaise with you both nearer the time.  

user126890
Reply : Fri 4th Jun 2010 21:53

In reply to Stuart's original post, there are a few others close by, I am a member at epsom which is a nice but tricky course, like most of the courses in the area not overly long but needing good positional play and it has some of the toughest greens I can imagine.Also has an arrangement that you can play 4 other courses in the area (Chipstead,Reigate heath, redhill and reigate and north downs) for 5 or 10 pounds depending on the day.

There is also banstead downs, which is a nice downsland course, played it once but it didnt seem too tricky. Cuddington is right next to it also but its quite a bit more pricey but I have heard good things about it.

Am playing wimbledon common sunday morning so glad to hear such good things about it.

Must remember to dig out a red top for sunday!

user643442
Reply : Tue 23rd Jun 2015 09:08

Hi stu. I have recently joined Richmond Park and I felt the same way about it, at first but now iv joined you do get a handycapp and comps happen every Sunday (medals)but I don't get the private golf club experience you should do with playing golf. So I'm using this year to get bk to my best before looking around for a new club

Last edit : Tue 23rd Jun 2015 09:08

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top