Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What Hogan club is this??

Posted by: user259181 | Sun 16th May 2010 11:56 | Last Reply

Any ideas?  It says Slazenger along the sole....although you can't see it in this pic

What is it?????

re: What Hogan club is this??
user52922
Reply : Sun 16th May 2010 12:12

Another good company that has gone into oblivion.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 16th May 2010 15:56

Slazenger had a number of BIG NAMES on their clubs. Jack Nicklaus Ping Putter was actually a Slazenger Club.

The Slazenger Works were in Horbury Bridge, near Wakefield and used to be Gradidge(?). Tom Gamble was their 'star' club maker.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Sun 16th May 2010 17:44

Hogan did not start manufacturing clubs till much later in his career, he endorsed other makers clubs, hence the tie in with Slazernger at some point.

Seeing as he designed the club for Slazenger as they were using his name it follows on that he would produce the same shape head for his own manufactured irons. In fact our Kevin Hewitt plays with the Ben Hogan Apex irons and we all know how he can strike a ball.

Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 11:34

Lewis,

Back in the 60's & 70's (even before) Club Makers used to get the top players to endorse a club, some players even designed them. The clubs sold because of the name on them.

Today we talk about MP32's, X10's & Di7's while back then it was Hogen's, Doug Sanders or Lee Trevino's.

Here are some Classics from that era:-

DUNLOP Peter Thomson, Max Faulkner & Tony Jacklin

WILSON Sam Snead & Walter Hagen

SLAZENGER Bobby Locke

PGF Kel Nagle

BEN SAYERS Ray Floyd & Doug Sanders 

TheLyth 

user52922
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 12:10

Max Faulkner also endorsed a set from the Castle Equipment company in London. They were excellent blades.

I also had a set of the Wilson Haig Ultra and they were beautiful looking clubs

One of my favourite sets was in the very late seventies and they were Lynx Prowler blades, probably the smallest head I have ever seen on a golf club, with very thin soles which made for excellent crisp striking.

Lyth, I still have a PGF Aristocrat Tour model 3 wood (Persimmon of course) and it still plays like new.

user77012
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 13:06

So what age would you give the Hogan club John/Lyth??

user52922
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 13:11

I would say the sixties, possibly early seventies

Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 13:36

I think you may be right JP. If you look at the Dunlop Maxfli of that time, very similar.

TheLyth

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 13:38

My father-in-law has a set of Lee Trevino's from the seventies (I think).  Any idea who would have manufactured those?

user52922
Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 13:55

He was signed up to the Faultless Brand at one time, but I seem to remember his clubs on sale in the UK at some point, so he might have endorsed other brands.

Reply : Mon 17th May 2010 16:14

Lee Trevino had his name on GREENTREE clubs, the "Sombrero" & "Accurist". He later signed up with John Letters (late 70's) with the "Super Mex" & "Master Mex".

TheLyth

user590600
Reply : Thu 12th Jun 2014 12:14

Guys I have a set of these Accurist Lee Trevino Greentrees which came from my fathers house when he passed away a few years ago!! I have just took them out the shed as of yesterday and cleaned them up. they are well used. Clubs in the bag are : 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW & SW irons along with 1 & 2 woods, there were a few others in there a Senior Player MK2 5 iron, a Ben Sayers Exploder Wedge, a Wilson-Patty Berg Cup Defender PW and a 3 wood with MH on bottom? Is there and value in selling these or is it just a bin job as these are very dated looking clubs??

Last edit : Thu 12th Jun 2014 12:14
user99350
Reply : Fri 13th Jun 2014 08:46

Well, this is a trip down memory lane and interesting stuff from Lyth and JP (nice to hear from you again JP). My first set of clubs were a half set of Max Faulkner in 1970, this was a couple of years before the revolutionary Lynx (irons) and Ping (initially putters and Drivers). If people couldn't afford Lynx and Ping then other popular choices were Dunlops, Maxfli and the like. At that time I got the feeling that Ben Sayers et al were not so much to the forefront and you found most of them in the proshop bargain bucket. Titleist were making headway with their weighted heel and toe irons which I bought in 1973 and played for ages. I still have them minus a 6 iron and PW lost by my brother.

Last edit : Fri 13th Jun 2014 08:46

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top