Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Too much pressure?

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 18th Jul 2009 22:35 | Last Reply

Is it possible to play sociable golf without keeping a note of your score, or even worrying about it?

The reason I ask is because lately I have been under immense pressure at work, worried about looming redundancies, struggling with finances, have health and family issues and to top it all, I am concerned that my golf is not improving

I am lucky to get more than one round per month, and I can't really afford that. When I play, because I know it is a rare privilege, I put pressure on myself to score well and then end up very frustrated when I dont.

I played in the monthly works comp on Friday and was only 12 points after 9 holes! It seemed the harder I tried, the worst I got. As it was the best two scores only that would count per team, my score did not matter anyway so I tore up my score card and played the rest of the round without keeping track of my score. I enjoyed it more and played so much better that I am considering not keeping a track of my scores for the future, well at least till some of the current pressures in my life have gone away. If it means I can relax and enjoy my golf, surely it cant be wrong?

re: Too much pressure?
user99350
Reply : Sun 19th Jul 2009 10:04

Paul, no you are exactly right. It seems at the moment you've got enough on your plate without adding competetive golf to the mix. Our livelihood doesn't depend on it so first and FORE!most....it should be enjoyable.

re: Too much pressure?
user52922
Reply : Sun 19th Jul 2009 10:29

Patrick is right, Paul, golf is meant to be enjoyed, the score is irrelevant. Satisfaction comes through striking the odd shot as intended, being out in the fresh air and not having to worry about what is going on in the world.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top