Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Recommended Driver for 28 Handicapper

Posted by: user238448 | Fri 19th Jun 2009 15:51 | Last Reply

This is my first posting and I could do with some advice.

I have a handicap of 28 and at the moment I tee off with a 5 or 4 hybrid club.

I need more distance off the tee, can anyone recommend a driver that would give me the forgiveness and distance I will need?

I was thinking of looking at the Taylormade Burner.

Any advice would be appreaciated

Many thanks

Gary

re: Recommended Driver for 28 Handicapper
user41897
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 17:39

I'm no expert and have struggled with my old Slazenger driver for years.  Treated myself to a sparkly new Mizuno MX700 last week and I just love it.  It could be the honeymoon period and it'll all go to pot in a few rounds time but at the moment it is just great.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 18:39

Welcome to the site Gary and congratulations on making your first post.

Now for the driver!  Try as many as you can and don't worry about the make or price.

Find one you like, whichever one that may be and then buy it.

Try and get it custom fitted, then you will know it's the right driver for you.

Russ

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Jun 2009 22:46

I would recommend a 3 iron   especially after my round at Donnington Grove today

Seriously, do as suggested and go and try some out.  On a range and not using an indoor simulator though

user238448
Reply : Sat 20th Jun 2009 15:06

To everyone that took time to reply to my posting.

Thank you very much for the valuable advice.

I am sure it will help me choose the right driver for my abilty and swing.

I will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks.

Regards

GaRY

user238448
Reply : Sun 21st Jun 2009 06:00

Hi Paul

I know what you mean.

However, I get frustrated when, on long holes, I bearly make the fairway off of the tee.

I thought that if I found a forgiving driver, I might make exta yardage, giving myself a better chance of keeping up with play.

Easier said than done though!!

Regards

Gary 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 21st Jun 2009 12:49

Hi Gary, welcome aboard.

I'm also looking for a new driver at the moment, but for a different reason (need to go from a regular to a stiff shaft).  As advised above, try as many as you can.  I've tried about eight or nine so far and they're all different - some are great and some I won't pick up again.  It really will be down to personal choice. 

If you want forgiving and straight then a sqaure driver will be best for you, but try as many as you can.  Try on an open range if you can as you'll be able to see what happens rather than a launch monitor predicting it.  If there are any fitting centres near you, see if you can book a session with them.  You won't regret it.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 22nd Jun 2009 07:24

You are right Paul, I wouldnt touch a driver until you start scoring in the 90's. Then its time to use the driver and work on accuracy over distance control.

Once you have got used to using one you dont want to go back though

user238448
Reply : Mon 22nd Jun 2009 11:20

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will wait until I have mastered teeing off with my 4 & 5 Hybrid, before I invest in a Driver.  However, I will try out different drivers at a range before I make my decision.

I stumbeled across Golfshake.com by accident on google, and I am very glad I did.

The friendly advice I have received has been very helpful.

Thank you again for everyone that has taken the time to reply to my posting.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute something that helps someone in the future.

Regards

Gary

user39020
Reply : Mon 22nd Jun 2009 15:07

I had a Dunlop driver when I started, and could not hit it to save my life.

Having read internet reviews, I decided my driver was probably cheap and nasty junk, so I bought a nice John Letters Driver. Still could not hit it.

So I bought a higher loft, shorter shafted driver designed for high handicapper beginners.  Still could not hit it.

All 3 drivers are gathering dust in the cupboard. I tee off with a 3 wood, and can outdrive a lot of my mates with their drivers. A sweetly struck 3 or 5 wood will go further and straighter than a poorly hit driver, and I personally find them a lot easier to hit.

This is just somthing to think about. Better equipment will not overcome a flawed swing!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top