Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Chipper - Legal or not?

Posted by: user92720 | Fri 16th May 2008 23:09 | Last Reply

Posing question.

Is a chipper a legal club to play with in competition?

re: Chipper - Legal or not?
user52922
Reply : Fri 16th May 2008 23:13

Yes, it is.

user9368
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 10:08

There isnt a shot you can play with your chipper thats not possible with one of your irons. That said one of my society members plays of 16 a uses one to great effect. And odysey have now brought out an £80 version called the marxman.

user50843
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 21:51

You don't really use your chipper from the tee, do you Dave?

user26537
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 11:07

I am one of the world's worst when it comes to spending too much on gear, but the Odyssey "Putting Wedge" (what a wonderful piece of marketing double speak) at £90 seems a little expensive.

Has anyone tried one ?  Should I be upgrading my £3.50 Donnay Chipper ?

user26537
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 17:10

Dave,

Mine goes in and out of the bag depending on how often I bladed a wedge on the previous round. 

I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one who is not too proud to raid the bargain bucket. 

Still not sure that the Odyssey can warrant £90 in comparison to the amounts that we both paid.  I am sure that there are some "badge" slaves out there who will be easily parted with their hard earned.

user52922
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 17:49

I have not seen a pair of plus fours since 1960 and that was the pro at Whitewebbs Park in Enfield. Reg Wilson.

Plus two's also went out of fashion in the seventies but we still have a member at my club who still wears them. Very smart he looks too.

I would suggest you regrip your chipper yourself, as I can guarantee you will not be satisfied with it, if you pay some one elses to do it. I will be the wrong colour, have the wrong feel, and be either too fat or too thin.

user52922
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 20:48

Mr Doncaster, to win the best dressed golfer at the N v S means it has to be of a standard that could not be worn outside after the match.

user24437
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 11:28

And the glare from his head...

user9368
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:10

Dave well done for averaging 27 putts that is some going. You may have made a slight error though and underestimated how often you use the chipper. My crude maths tells me that you hit the Driver then chipper chipper chipper chipper then putt

Col

user50843
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:22

Iv'e just bought one of those drivers you speak of David, Ben Hogan CS3, I think you mean, I had no idea just how loud they were till I hit one on the range, nearly as loud as Wayne's trousers..... 

user80414
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:25

after reading this im tempted to give a chipper a go! i always use the 7 for chip and run or a 60* for "flop" shots! but this will gve me another option off the tee

On the dress thing, i wear some seiously hidious clobber on the course but i only do it to wind my mate up who hates all the outlandish gear! floro pink and orange anyone? often looks like i got dressed in the dark!

Last edit : Tue 20th May 2008 22:27
user24437
Reply : Wed 21st May 2008 00:40

Tony - if you like the CS3 you should try the C455 woods, I've got a 3 & 5 and there classy little weapons as well.  Having said that I might be getting rid of the 3 because the MD seems to suit me at the moment....

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top