Chipper - Legal or not?

Posted by: Dave Doncaster | Fri 16th May 2008 23:09 | Last Reply

Posing question.

Is a chipper a legal club to play with in competition?

re: Chipper - Legal or not?
John Pettitt
Reply : Fri 16th May 2008 23:13

Yes, it is.

Colin Astbury
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 10:08

There isnt a shot you can play with your chipper thats not possible with one of your irons. That said one of my society members plays of 16 a uses one to great effect. And odysey have now brought out an £80 version called the marxman.

Christopher Watmore
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 10:36

Only thing you have to watch for Dave is that its not one of these dual faced chippers that can be used left or right handed. As the Rules state a club most have only one striking face. A two-faced club would be deemed to be two clubs.

David Marshall
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 11:21

Good point Chris.. Don't use the dual faced model in competitons. Although it may be that some people may not be aware that it is illegal

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 11:24

Colin,

You are right that there isn't a shot that your irons couldn't do but I must admit a chipper is a better club for me around the greens. I average about 27 putts now since I started using it. I have been known to use it from the tee though aswell, like a seven iron, as that is all it is, a half face version of a seven iron.

Christopher,

Many thanx for your comment too. It is a single face club. I didn't realise that rule though! Does that stand for putters too? As a friend of mine has a putter that definitely has two faces because he can play it both left and right handed. 

Christopher Watmore
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 11:26

Putters are the exception to the rule I think, due to so many of these blade style putters being produced over the years.

Tony Dunn
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 21:51

You don't really use your chipper from the tee, do you Dave?

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Sun 18th May 2008 00:15

Yes Tony, sometimes on par 3s

Wayne Santorini
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 08:35

Dave your not alone in using it from the tee.

I have a mate in Wales who used his chipper for a 157mtr Par 3 in the Algarve and he got it on the green, we just stood there laughing our heads off in disbelief

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 10:32

Wayne,

Iv'e stood on a 150 yard par 3 and hit the pin. My playing partner was lying on the tee in hysterics. When he came back to reality, he said "I give up, might aswell just carry that club around with you"

I do tend to use it too much. Most holes now are a driver and then the chipper, except par 5s of course :-)

James Livett
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 11:07

I am one of the world's worst when it comes to spending too much on gear, but the Odyssey "Putting Wedge" (what a wonderful piece of marketing double speak) at £90 seems a little expensive.

Has anyone tried one ?  Should I be upgrading my £3.50 Donnay Chipper ?

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 12:36

James,

I will never get rid of my chipper. It cost me £2 and it has saved me on numerous occasions. I must play it at least 15 times a round. Well worth the vast expense :-)

James Livett
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 17:10

Dave,

Mine goes in and out of the bag depending on how often I bladed a wedge on the previous round. 

I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one who is not too proud to raid the bargain bucket. 

Still not sure that the Odyssey can warrant £90 in comparison to the amounts that we both paid.  I am sure that there are some "badge" slaves out there who will be easily parted with their hard earned.

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 17:21

James,

That is very true!!!!

Hence the reason you see some idiots in clothes that you and I wouldn't be seen dead in!!!

Especially plus fours!!

Me and my chipper will go to the grave. I need to get it regripped, so if anyone knows of a good gripper, please let me know. Obviously don't want to pay more than the club is worth lol

John Pettitt
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 17:49

I have not seen a pair of plus fours since 1960 and that was the pro at Whitewebbs Park in Enfield. Reg Wilson.

Plus two's also went out of fashion in the seventies but we still have a member at my club who still wears them. Very smart he looks too.

I would suggest you regrip your chipper yourself, as I can guarantee you will not be satisfied with it, if you pay some one elses to do it. I will be the wrong colour, have the wrong feel, and be either too fat or too thin.

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 17:59

Thanx Mr Pettitt,

I will take that on board.

I played a comp at the Belfry once and a member was wearing plus fours. Beige with a symbol on the sides. He looked like he should have worn a flat cap too. Oh how we dress stupid for such a great game.

I have always said that I would not wear anything on the golf course that I couldn't go out in later on. I hope I have always achieved that!

John Pettitt
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 20:48

Mr Doncaster, to win the best dressed golfer at the N v S means it has to be of a standard that could not be worn outside after the match.

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Mon 19th May 2008 21:09

Guess that rules me out then!

Wayne Santorini
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 07:02

Dave you need to be at one of these events to know what John means

You'd be surprised at what some members wear

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 07:11

Wayne,

I'm guessing I wouldn't!! That's just the point.

How some people get away with wearing certain clothing, I never know!

Wayne Santorini
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 08:32

Boy are you in for a shock Friday then

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 09:04

"Dave gets his Pink trousers and Yellow with Orange spots top out, oh and tries to remember his fishing waders!"

Jon T
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 10:57

All of Wayne's playing partners need to wear tinted shades, to cut-out the glare from his horendously coloured trousers!!!

Last edit : Tue 20th May 2008 10:57
Tim Hawkins
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 11:28

And the glare from his head...

David Marshall
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 12:00

Errrrmmm.....Excuse me Mr Hawkins...That's my friend you are having a pop at....And for your information, he usually wears a golfing cap.

Unlike playing with you, when you should be handing out ear defenders to your playing partners. Due to the racket your driver makes. 

Tim Begley
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 12:13

It is good to know it legal... I've got one and it certainly is a good club to have in your bag.

I've haven't tried off the tee yet though!  Could be interesting...

Colin Astbury
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:10

Dave well done for averaging 27 putts that is some going. You may have made a slight error though and underestimated how often you use the chipper. My crude maths tells me that you hit the Driver then chipper chipper chipper chipper then putt

Col

Tony Dunn
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:22

Iv'e just bought one of those drivers you speak of David, Ben Hogan CS3, I think you mean, I had no idea just how loud they were till I hit one on the range, nearly as loud as Wayne's trousers..... 

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:24

Colin,

You may well be right, I might hit my chipper that many times in one hole but never on the green. Therefore I normally take one putt due to how close the chipper gets me. My crude maths tells me that I'm a genius!!!

Danny King
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:25

after reading this im tempted to give a chipper a go! i always use the 7 for chip and run or a 60* for "flop" shots! but this will gve me another option off the tee

On the dress thing, i wear some seiously hidious clobber on the course but i only do it to wind my mate up who hates all the outlandish gear! floro pink and orange anyone? often looks like i got dressed in the dark!

Last edit : Tue 20th May 2008 22:27
Dave Doncaster
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:28

Danny, my chipper is a cut down version of a 7 iron, therefore you can use as one. It also handles like an iron, some handle like a putter, they are not so good, cos you can't get the swing on it.

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:30

By the way you guys, I have just written my own blog, would love for you all to have a read when you want some night time reading :-)

Tim Hawkins
Reply : Wed 21st May 2008 00:40

Tony - if you like the CS3 you should try the C455 woods, I've got a 3 & 5 and there classy little weapons as well.  Having said that I might be getting rid of the 3 because the MD seems to suit me at the moment....

Dave Doncaster
Reply : Mon 26th May 2008 10:07

Dear All,

Just to keep you up to date, I got my Chipper regripped on Friday :-)

The pro at Grange Park, St Helens did it for £5. It is fantastic but it now shows me that I need to regrip all of my clubs. Especially my woods, as they rotate in my hand at down swing.

It does mean I need to practice a bit more with it now, as the grip is so different, bring it on!

Previous: Remote electric trolley    |    Next: Ben Hogan Apex Irons
Post reply :

Only registered logged in users can post new topics.

Click here to register for free.

Break 90 Short Game Series

Watch: Improve Your Game

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for the latest tuition videos, tips & reviews.

Improve Your Game

Take your game to the next level!

10 reasons to track your stats this winter.

Golfshake Partners

Bunker Mentality - Shop Online