I get mine 140yrds

re: How far do you hit your 7 iron?
user52922
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2008 14:37

I am the same Matt, 140 yds for me.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2008 15:12

140-150ish for me.  Although most occassions it's about 5 yards like the rest of the clubs

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2008 15:13

I know what you mean, at the weekend at the TPC, Phil Mickleson was hitting a 9iron 170 yards.  obviously you have to take into account, clubs, balls, weather conditions before you get to their skill

user50354
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2008 16:44

7 iron - I would bring out the bag at 130 yards.

I tend to club down and ease it in tho..

NWOT........

user23840
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2008 18:49

I have hit it 170 yards summer. around 150 now. I have hit it further

user42974
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2008 19:22

This time of year i hit my 7 iron 140 to 150 yards.

user9137
Reply : Tue 5th Feb 2008 19:51

In Summer my 7 iron goes 150yds. At this time of the year it goes 140yds, that is in ideal conditions.

user9368
Reply : Wed 6th Feb 2008 13:16

Are we talking forwards or sideways. Either way about 140 yrds for me straight forward to the right  or to the left. No one knows where its going to stop

user80414
Reply : Wed 6th Feb 2008 13:55

140 to 150 here, depending on time of year, conditions and how much i drank the night before ;o)

Unfortunalty the guy i play with is about 15 to 20 yards longer than me on each iron, and which causes me all sorts of problems when i ask the fated "what you taking on this?" as it always throws me off.

user52922
Reply : Wed 6th Feb 2008 17:32

Hi Danny, interesting comment about your friend. I too had a friend, off 3 handicap, who was totally obessed with hitting less club than me to a hole. Why, I never did understand.

On our short 8th over a valley I used to slightly close an eight iron and punch it in and then would let him see what I had taken, knowing full well that he would take a 9 iron, and then come up short.

Last edit : Wed 6th Feb 2008 18:05
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 7th Feb 2008 12:49

150 in the winter, 160 in the summer when I hit it clean or down the range where there's no pressure.  This new swing is bringing everything up short at the moment though. 

user80414
Reply : Thu 7th Feb 2008 13:11

John P,

I dont know why i do it, but it seems inbuilt that as soon as i step up to a shot (especially a par 3) i always ask what he's taken/taking. I know that it shouldnt matter and i should play my game. 

I like your style about punching the shot just to watch you partener fall short. Ill have to make sure my friend isnt doing the same!

user52922
Reply : Thu 7th Feb 2008 16:37

I learned very quickly that it is most important in golf to always be up, if this requires one or two clubs more than your playing partners, then so be it.

It is a game of how many and strategy plays a very big part in ones score at the end of the round.

user79538
Reply : Fri 8th Feb 2008 16:35

A 7 iron for me usually means around 130/135 yards carry.  Lately though, I can easily get 10 yards more without 'going after it'.  The real problem is I don't hit the ball very hard, so I only get it to stop or pull up in winter.  During the summer that means I play all courses as if they're links courses, and try to judge the run out accordingly.

Just came back from Portugal, where I didn't bother calcualting the distances from metres to yards, as the ball was going 10% futher because the weather was warmer!  i.e. I just took whatever club I would for the yardage, without adding 10% for the change from metres, so a 7 iron was 130/135 metres - about 150 yards.  (I know what I mean !)

user80414
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 11:18

Keith,

I hear what your saying, and i would never do it in a Comp or a medal, but when im playing a friendly round which is where i improve my game its just somthing that we Both (my usual Playing partner and i) do just for confirmation that we are thinking the same thing (Yardage etc). Espacaly if its a course that we havent played before, or the tee positions have been radically changed.

Last edit : Mon 18th Feb 2008 11:18
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 15:10

Anthony,

Yes you can ask now, but only after both of you have played your shot. 

user73097
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 04:26

From the 150 yard marker to a level green 7 iron, from a higher green 6 iron and a lower green an 8 iron. Of course wind and temprature will affect things.

user8399
Reply : Fri 7th Mar 2008 21:41

I can't believe what I am reading - you guys -and at least one girl - must be the longest iron players in the country. However, given your handicaps these shots must also be the least accurate in the world!

Nothing gives me more pleasure than someone who says "I took a 7, what did you take" when I can reply "a 5, but look who's closer". Up to, typically, 180 yards, why should you care what you or anyone takes - just find out how to hit your irons the same distance every time and take the money - or the trophy.

user52922
Reply : Fri 7th Mar 2008 23:19

Terry, I know you are sceptical about some of the claims for distances hit with a seven iron, but todays younger brethren do seem to be able to hit the ball a long way and some on this forum can do exactly that.

I stand by my claim that mine goes 140 yds.

user8399
Reply : Fri 7th Mar 2008 23:39

Quite right, John, and don't we know it! A regular partner of mine holed-in-one at our 11th off the yellow tees (160 yards) with a pitching wedge, and lipped out the next week off the white tee (190) with a 9-iron!

I tried to post a reply on another thread giving a method of assessing what club to take but it seemed to get lost.

Fundamentally it involves taking four irons to a flat practice ground (maybe a 3, 5, 7 and 9 iron) and hitting differently numbered balls with each club, then pacing out the real yardages. You then find out how far you actually hit each club - coupled with clubbing for the BACK of the green (away from danger) - this can only be good for your scores.

All you need then is some patter to justify taking a 4-iron when your playing partners are taking 7's! ("I prefer to punch my irons" is my favourite). If I'm closer to the pin, what do I care!

Thanks for your knowledgeable submissions - what's this about your game declining with age: are you in your nineties? I'm improving at 64.

user23840
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 00:05

I have hit a driver 350yds+ on many occasions. As Dave says, if I had the time to develop a short game, and learned to concentrate, i might get good at this game.

user52922
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 08:54

Terry, it is great that you are still playing to such a high standard at 64, I too was still playing off 6 when I was 62, then I suffered a heart attack, followed by everything else that can go wrong with a heart. I am now fitted with an ICD and have been returned to golf for the past year, although I am disappointed that I have not been able to recapture the standard that I felt I would be able to.

None of this is due to the heart apart from my strength, just the fact that my right knee right hip and lower back have all seized up and I cannot swing very far back and I find it very difficult to get off the right side into a good follow through, which as you well know gives height to the shot.

My friend at my club is 76 , five years older than me and hits the ball as if he were 26 but he suffers from nothing, so he is fortunate, as it seems, you are, and long may it continue.

I see you are in my neck of the woods, so perhaps we could arrange a game together sometime.

Having played with Danny, I too can vouch for the ridiculous distances he sends the ball with every club, why he is still the handicap he is I just cannot believe.

Last edit : Sat 8th Mar 2008 08:57
user52922
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 14:08

Having the hands in front of the club does not necessarily deloft it. I have my hands in front on a seven iron, but the face is not closed. Ball flight height is determined by the follow through, or lack of it.

My experience tells me that the higher handicaps hit the ball way to high. If a ball  is hit very high, it is more difficult to judge the distance. I much prefer a lower ball flight, always have.

Last edit : Sat 8th Mar 2008 14:14
user8399
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 23:00

Wise words, Keith - and nobody cared this morning when I romped home with 29 points either! Still, a few good shots so I'll be back next week.

On the subject of length - I wonder if this is down to an automatic use of hands? The one element of the swing that will accelerate the clubhead to high speed (which, after all, is the only way to hit the ball a long way) is the ability, whether "instinctive" or learned, to use a lot of hand action. Having been taught in the 50's I use a very simple body turn to hit the ball, but this gives very little action in the hitting zone. However, it is accurate, and that still counts for a lot in golf. Naturally I wish I were longer but would only trade 1 yard of lost accuracy for ten yards of extra distance. As I'm a good fairway wood player I actually like - and win - on courses with many 400+ yard par-4s.

So, what's the answer? Trial and error, I think - hit lots of golf balls, learn where they go with different clubs and apply that knowledge to your shots on the course. Apart from that, practise your short game and putting. There you go - 5 handicap max.

John P - a game would be a delight, where and when? I'm at Royal Winchester, where are you?

p.s. to all - Royal Winchester has a very good deal expiring end March - a fourball for £80 including a snack meal. Ring Andrew Buck on 01962-852462 and tell him I suggested it to you (actually he will give you the deal anyway, but I like him to give my society good deals!).

user52922
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 23:32

Hi Terry, I am at Sherfield Oaks (Basingstoke) what about South Winchester for a game?

user52922
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 23:35

Keith, you have every right to disagree, but what you state is completely incorrect. Striking down on the ball does not, in itself, hit a high shot, the high shot can only come with a full follow through.

Please describe how you keep the ball, low, then perhaps I may understand how you approach this game.

With the armoury at your disposal I would be a scratch golfer again.

user52922
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 23:45

David, I have been trying to get you to join me at South Winchester on quite a few occasions, hope you can make it this time if Terry does not mind slumming it.

user52922
Reply : Sat 8th Mar 2008 23:57

OK I accept that, but you have now declared an interest in playing so I will try and get a nice sunny day for you.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 10:25

It would make an ideal destination for a match, David. It has a links look and feel is long enough to even test those who hit it miles yet still gives us shorter hitters a chance. It would not be that expensive either as it is a Crown Course.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 11:03

Sounds great, David. If we can get an idea as to how many would play in it, I am sure I could get a discount as I am a member of Crown Golf myself, as you know.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 13:00

You are wrong, Keith, I can strike the ball firmly downwards and produce a very low flying shot and produce backspin. Height is only achievable by a fast impact speed and a good follow through.

It is also well know that the higher one hits the ball the more difficult it is to guage the forward distance.

If you say that you know exactly how far each of you clubs go then your handicap should be lower.

Pro V1's are a ball that requires a strong impact speed to get the benefit from them, it is a good players ball, but if you ever play with me you will see that I play with a balata ball, as I always have, it is cheap and nasty but I am able to stop this without any problems whatsoever and I am quite sure that those members on here who have played with me will confirm this.

I would have like you to have seen an old friend of mine who played for Essex, a scratch golfer, he used to hit 9 irons into the green so low that one always thought they were going to take one bounce and disappear off the back of the green, they used to take the one bounce and then check like mad, quite amazing to watch.

The leading edge of the club is what makes contact with the ball first whilst it is descending, the club then carries on to take the divot. It is this action that gives the ball backspin and the reason most golfers cannot do it, is because they hit the ball with the face of the club first instead of the leading edge.

You have no need to alter your swing to hit the ball low, all that is required is for the ball to moved further back in the stance and the follow through restricted. If you can hit a five iron into a gale on a 180 yard shot you are of the calibre of our own Mr Danny Brant, who also has the most enormous potential I have ever seen.

user23840
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 13:09

I wish it were true John.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 13:13

It is, Danny, and you well know it.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 14:30

Sorry, Keith, impossible with no follow through.

If you are ever going to attain five handicap then it will not take two years. 

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 14:30

Sorry, Keith, impossible with no follow through.

If you are ever going to attain five handicap then it will not take two years. 

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 14:52

You are not so far away, Keith, let me know when and where you can make a game and I will pop down to see this shot that I have never seen produced by anyone.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 15:17

Well, David, I have just decided that I have been playing this game all wrong, because if I want to get the ball up quickly then I play it off the front foot, break the wrists early on the backswing and then make sure that I have a high follow through.

If I used your method then the ball would not get very high.

Keith may want to join us all at South Winchester if it is not too far for him to travel. 

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 15:29

David, if you want to go against all the recognised teaching on this subject, then be my guest, I was just saying what everyone who can play this game does. It is now obvious that both you and Keith are quite unique in the methods that you use and that we are now never going to agree on what is the correct method.

This of course does not mean that you are not my friend and that I will be looking for a demonstration the next time we play.

Last edit : Sun 9th Mar 2008 15:51
user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 15:53

The only way for them to have gone high was for you to have followed through strongly, hitting and stopping will not put the ball very high.

We did spend a lot of time in the sand at Donnington, didn't we.

You were pretty solid with both the driver and the fairway woods.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 16:36

Any follow through that has finished with the hands higher than the shoulders can be considered to be pretty full IMO, so 11.o'clock is pretty much a high follow through, most certainly not a hit and stop.

Not really worth arguing about, though, David. You are happy with your method and I am happy with mine, who is to say what is right or wrong, it is the finished result that matters most.

user21308
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 19:28

I'd be interested in a game at Winchester John if you need more people to make up a society day.

Played at the East Dorset Country club yesterday and despite the high winds, torrential rain for about 4 holes it was a great course. I could have won the day if it hadn't been for my putting (40 putts, bad bad bad). Tricky undulating quick greens that i never got the pace of all day!

Ruined my card at the end too, by going for a 135 yard par 3 with an eight iron, which is right at the top end of my range...pulled it left...the right to left wind then took my ball further left into the gorse, from there lobbed into a bunker and never got out. Very frustrating...should have take an easy 7 which i hit about 145

...there i got back on topic in the end:-)

Always like to playing new courses though.

Last edit : Sat 15th May 2010 08:18
user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 19:55

You are welcome anywhere, anytime, John, you know that. I put myself down for your day at the Hampshire but I noticed that it was stuck on five for a long while so I dropped back out again, that was the only reason, so if more come along I will re-enter.

Sorry to hear about your putting, cmon 40 putts is disgraceful. 135 yds with an eight iron would be too far for me, but hopefully you will have learned from it. If you felt you were in for a shout, off your handicap you should have played the percentage, but Heh we all do it, don't we.

You will like South Winchester it is a very nice course with some great holes and a super finishing hole par five dogleg left, downhill with a small lake guarding the green.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 20:06

It is on Good Friday, David and I played in Johns event there before, so I naturally put my name down, but as there seemed to be no more interest and with 5 being an odd number and me being the last to subscribe, I though it best to leave it as a four.

Now if, I see your name there then I will put mine down as we can then split into two 3 balls.

user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 20:21

Done mine.

user21308
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 21:10

Great see you both there.

I will be able to book the tee times tomorrow. I've reduced the numbers to 8 so we''ll see what happens. The other player Roly has a no show rate of 50%...

Last edit : Sun 9th Mar 2008 21:12
user52922
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 21:14

Don't forget who took the money last time, John.

user24437
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 22:40

Sorry to drag this back on topic, but something is going slightly wierd with my irons. Today tee'd up on a 145ish par with a tree directly between tee and pin, couple of months ago I would have gone for a flat out 8 or 3/4 7. Bouyed by the way I was playing I hit a 3/4 9 iron to within 10 ft! Problem was that I wasn't hitting my driver much further.....

user23840
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 22:57

David. You hit a full 9 iron in your back garden?

user24437
Reply : Sun 9th Mar 2008 23:18

Did wonder if you'd been practising thrashing your ball into trees David, although the amount of times you did it at Donnington I think you've got the hang of it now.

user50354
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 08:28

Ah..Your secrets out "sneaky long"

Ya kick it...!!

NWOT....

user26342
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 18:42

Average 7 iron for me is 130-135 yds in the winter, in the summer add an extra 5 - 10yds.

user84038
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 19:10

average 7 iron is 160 -165 on a wind free day.

i play corrie fisted so keeps the flight slightly lower

user52922
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 19:39

170 yard wedge eh!!!! that really is impressive, I doubt even Danny could do that.

user23840
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 19:54

If it tried to hit my wedge that far, it would take off into orbit.

user52922
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 19:55

I am certainly playing a different game to these boys, Danny, I can't hit anything 170 yards.

user52922
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 23:12

That is why he is 1 handicap, Jason.

user52922
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 23:33

To get to and maintain scratch he will need to be shooting under par every time he plays in competition. It is harder than turning pro.

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 10:47

I cannot believe that with all this awesome power why on earth no one is playing off scratch.

If I started 300 yds down the fairway I would be shooting par or better, that's for sure.

Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 10:55

One word for you John - accuracy.  As John said above, "i don't think it matters how far you hit them it's how close to the target, and it's the second shot that counts". 

I think short game is crucial (crucially lacking for me).  If I took three to the green on a par 4 but my third shot was a wedge from 30 odd yards and I could drop it within a couple of feet then I would probably make par.  If my second shot were from the same place due to a booming drive but my short game was poor I would probably need at least two putts and maybe an additional chip.  Especially if that booming drive was not in a good place or in the rough. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 11:17

These days most of the holes are just too long for me to reach in regulation figures, this means that any attempt to go for it brings into play all the usual trouble that surrounds greens these days, bunkers, water and deep rough, so I have had to change my thinking.

I now much prefer to play these holes as three shotters, but making sure that I have a full shot into the green. At the end of the round it is what you have scored that is important and no one is interested how you got them.

user50354
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 12:11

My game sounds very much like John's. I like to get into position for my 3rd shot to the green and then 1 or 2 putt.

Bogey golf gets me a 90 at my course and if I scrape a par or 2 enroute well that's me happily in the 80's.

I admire the better player though who can go for the greens in 2 with success but due to the time I can afford to my hobby they will always be out of my league.

NWOT.....

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 12:28

Perhaps my thoughts on this game are out of tune with modern thinking, but to me, a chip has always been a shot that is played when close to the green but no hazards in the way. This is then just a putt with a lofted club, really a simple shot and one that anyone should be able to get a feel for. Bump and runs are also one of my favourite shots and if used regularly quickly develops a feel for distance, and after all is said and done, this game is all about judgement of distance.

A pitch, on the other hand is one that I would use when I am faced with a hazard in front of me and it is dependent on how much green I have to work with as to which of my four wedges I use.

I too, at one time, used to attack everything, when I had the capability, but over the years I have learned that sometimes it is better to try and curb these animal instincts and play the percentages. Now of course I have no choice, I really have to think my way round.

Last edit : Thu 13th Mar 2008 14:21
user24437
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 14:45

Google Earth has a ruler (grr - shouldbe rule) on the toolbar that's amazingly accurate as long as the photo fo the course is up to date.  That's how I knew I'd hit a 140yd 9 iron the other day.

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 17:59

It must take you a long time to go round then, Danny if you are pacing out all the time.

user24437
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 18:05

Google earth is remarkably accurate, I quite often use it for an overlay to check the positions of features on some roof drawings I do, it's usually good to within half a metre. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 18:31

Indeed, Danny, walking and counting is something we are capable of, but if you pace out how far it is to go to a certain point then you have to walk back to play the shot, hence me saying that it must take a long while for you to go round, with all this added yardage.

user50354
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 18:42

I tend to pace on every hole from the 150 marker. Further away from the green I have a gestimate as to the distance left for my wedge into the green shot which, is usually 60 yards.

NWOT........

Last edit : Thu 13th Mar 2008 18:42
user52922
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 19:00

Fine, Danny, you have now made yourself understood.

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 00:09

Are you related to this Rotella fella, Jason.

Yes I am one of the cynical ones, as I feel I don't need anyone to tell me how to play the game as I mastered it when I was a young man, quite easily. Managed to win quite a few tournaments, so my mental capacity must have been fine.

I doubt you will be interested to hear this response.

user23840
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 07:05

I think the mental side is massive in most sports, but especially golf. I think thats because it's you and the course, very easy to implode.

If you play rugby and your not doing to well, you have an opponent to channel your frustration/aggression on, one big tackle and you feel right as rain again. You have no such luxuries on a golf course.

I hope that made sense. 

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 11:40

Jason, maybe I was brought up in an era when there was no such thing as pressure, as I cannot relate to anything you have just said, apart from being able to grind out a score when not playing too well.

Do you honestly believe that if every Pro golfer or even amateur applied the teachings of this book that they would all achieve the same standard in this game. Of course they wouldn't, those who know how to win would still be at the top, even though some of them do not have the natural ability of those not winning.

I don't throw clubs, never have and never will. I know when I am playing well, and when those days arrive, I seem to have a natural ability to maintain it all throughout the round. Those days when things are not right, I take as just one of those days and spend the whole round working on different things, searching for something, but never getting to the stage where I am depressed or feeling the need to go to a shrink.

If you are getting all het up in a tournament at your current standard, then I don't think you will ever be able to cope with playing in a scratch tournament, no matter how many books you read.

Confidence comes with ability and I think you would be far better off getting your ability levels raised in your game first. I feel you are brainwashing yourself into believing that you will improve just by reading this book. After all is said and done, if you master all the techniques and advice from this book it will not improve the standard of your physical play.

Why is it that the modern world likes to blame everything on the pressures of today. I have always felt that pressure, stress, call it what you like, is self induced. Perhaps it is me that is out of kilter with this thinking, I don't know, as I never have worried about anything in my life.

Problems are there to be overcome, if they cannot be overcome, then they are no longer a problem.

Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 11:54

I'm not a club thrower, but I do have problems with the mental side of things.  Biggest problem I have is that if I have a bad shot, I start chasing the hole to recover it, which then causes me to make poor decisions and have a bad hole.  I know I should just accept it, take my medicine and forget it but I don't.  Curiously, this only affects me if it's a duffed shot as I have no problems accepting a chip out of the trees as a necessity.  One good shot and it's all good again. 

I know what my problem is and it's my inability to forget the last shot (those who played with me at Breadsall Manor last year saw how far my head dropped when things started going wrong).  I need to learn how to say "Ce la vie" and get on with the next shot. 

Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:04

I used to play with a guy who took the following routine: -

1 bad shot - swear

2 consecutive bad shots - swear and throw club

3 consecutive bad shots - swear, throw club, kick bag repeatedly until trolley falls over, ignore everyone for next hole. 

Used to make us much more relaxed as we laughed about it behind his back.

user50354
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:14

I just don't understand these people.

They sound very much like "tossers" to me...

Tossing clubs indeed.

Only two things in life should be tossed and one is pan cakes..

NWOT.....

Last edit : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:14
user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:59

Jason 

So you honestly believe that employing a shrink is all we need to do to be good at this game yet I don't consider good to be anything above 2 handicap.

It is not narrow minded to dismiss different teaching techniques if I don't agree with them.

You contradict yourself by saying that there is nothing wrong with your technique, yet your handicap refutes this,at the same time admitting you get nerves on the first tee.

I had nerves on the first tee once, when I thought I could play the game, having got down to four handicap in seven months from taking the game seriously. I entered the Essex Amateur Championships (Max handicap 4) which was held that particular year at Romford. I walked onto the 1st tee and as I pegged up ready to play, the starter announced "Quiet please, John Pettitt, Chingford Golf Club on the tee. At this point my legs just turned to jelly, something which I had never encountered before, but somehow I managed to get the ball away safely. I have never suffered from that since and I have played in far more important competitions than that one. I just cannot imagine getting stressed out on the tee about a club competition. That may be the difference between us, Jason.

If you honestly believe that your bad rounds are not down to poor technique the you are deluding yourself.

Incidently it is not my short game that is causing me problems.

I might add that if you can shoot par on occasion and then play to 18 handicap at other times, then perhaps you may have mental problems in respect of golf, but only a good technique will provide the consistency you are obviously striving for.

I hope that you do achieve your goals, Jason, as I like to see everyone play this game well.

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 13:04

Kevin, we played together at Donnington on a tough day and as you well know your own game was not functioning as it should have done for your handicap over the front nine holes.

I really admired the way you stuck at the task of trying to get your game back in order, and this was reflected with a great second half performance under those tough conditions.

I struggled to get off the tee all the way round but I never gave up trying. No book in the world could have improved our performances that day.

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 14:23

J P, course management is at the top of my list as the first essential to good golf, but that is something that I feel I have been blessed with as I never attempt the impossible, you will never see me in the rough using a wood, for example. I have always plotted my way down a hole, even more so now that I cannot hit it very far.

Every shot requires a decision of some sort or another and yes, this is the mental side of the game, but a book is not going to say what you should do under the circumstances as every shot is different and will require different thought processes to be able to assess all the fors and againsts, that there are in making the shot a good one.  Once this decision has been made, the book is of no use as it is ones technique which will determine whether the shot is a good one or not.

Of course the brain controls everything we do in the first instance but it only works by the input we give it in the first place. 

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 14:25

Jason, if your GIR figure is 60%, then there is no reason why you cannot get it round in level par, as the top pros stats only show 70% GIR.

Reading between the lines I feel that you are suffering from a lack of concentration at times as it appears you have tremendous ability. 

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 15:13

OK, Jason then I am only needing the 1%  as I probably already practice what you are teaching.

a) I always pick a spot to aim at, doesn't everbody?

b)You do realise there are two schools of thought on this one and as yet statistics have not been able to prove one way or another which is the best. I am always looking to hole every putt, but then I am an optimist and fail to recognise that fact that it is never going to happen.

c) For me this is an easy one as I hit all my irons with a very slight draw and have no fear for what is on the right side of a hole. Off the tee the left side does cause me concern.

All is fair in love and war as well as matchplay, and having played more of this kind of competition that most on this forum I can agree that gamesmanship is something I have been guilty of, albeit the subtle ones. I never attempted to put a person off by doing anything physical.

As Clint would say, 'a man has to know his limitations' and this applies just as much to golf as anything else.

The impossible I can do at once, miracles take a little longer.

Now get back to work.

Last edit : Fri 14th Mar 2008 15:13
user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 17:27

Any favoured direction, Dave?

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 17:57

Jason, when you lay up you have taken away the chance of landing in trouble and at the same time have not dented your confidence. A longer shot is required but if you're like me the you will not find that daunting.

My course has loads of the ditches crossing the fairways and they all seem to be at places which will always catch my ball if well struck, unfortunately playing short of these all the time means I cannot reach our par fives in three shots. We have one p[ar three that is not only long but surrounded by trouble and because I get a shot there, I quite often play a wedge off the tee and then a sand wedge in. Never take more than 4 but sometimes make three. Going for it can mean a 3 or a 5.

150 yds in is the scoring zone but because most players do not play with a particular shape they can find themselves with long putts all the time, putting pressure on the putting.

You are obviously a capable golfer and think and work on your game, so I wish you luck in your endeavour to halve your handicap.

I keep my stats, not on golfshake but with another piece of software and my par scrambles are the equivalent of a five handicapper and my putting, that of a Pro, but with greens in regulation showing me as a 25 handicapper, my short game has to be good.

Last edit : Fri 14th Mar 2008 17:58
user23840
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 08:53

John. I think the mental side of golf means different things to different people.

You say I have ability to play this game well, but as you can see I played yesterday, and my handicap has gone up to 20.

I do have some ability, I mean yesterday I hit anice drive and a fantastic 5 wood, to get on this green in 2. Walked away with par [lousy 1st put] but I was happy with the way I played the hole.

But what stops me playing this way on every hole, or even near it? 

user52922
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 09:47

Danny B, anyone can three putt and it is even more deflating after having hit two fantastic shots to reach that green, once that hole was finished, there was nothing you could do to alter the score, but it is obvious you let that unfortunate incident get to you mentally.

We must have a game soon and I will give you my thoughts on how I approach the game. It may help you, on the other hand it may not, but you never know. With your power there is not a course that would be a problem for me.

user52922
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 12:09

I would think it was Pedham Place, J P, that is where Danny plays most of his golf.

user9368
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 12:27

Do you think that hole needs to some more bunkers to maybe add a little interest

user52922
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 12:36

Just checked and it is a hole at The London Club, in Kent. A very expensive club to play at and probably the reason it is always empty when I drive past.

user52922
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 12:39

Colin, it is a par five and only people with Danny's power could ever reach it in two, the bunkers only come into play for the power hitters when normal players, like us get near the bunkers we will only be using a relatively short iron for our third, or maybe fourth.

user23840
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 12:53

Yep John P, it's the London club. My step brother is a member there, so it's nice day out for me.

I was actually quite pleased with the way I played the hole, annoyed about the 3 putt, but overall very pleased. My point is why can I not replicate the same kind of shots on a more consistent basis?

If you notice on that round, I get purple patches in the middle of both 9's.

user52922
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 13:12

Danny, we all know that it only requires one good shot to energise ones round, it is having the ability to keep the round going when you have hit a bad shot and then proceeded to get even worse trying to recover from it.

I looked at that round and I cannot see any purple patches, 1 three, 1 four ,7 fives and 9 sixes.

Satisfaction is something one gets from executing shots exactly as one intended to play them and you have the ability to do that more often than most.

Your short game looks as though it needs an overhaul.

user23840
Reply : Sun 16th Mar 2008 08:00

When I mean purple patches, I mean in relation to my handicap at the moment. My goal at the moment is to be playing bogie golf, and build on that.

Also the way I was stricking the ball.

So it may not look like a purple patch with a few bogies, and a couple of pars, but believe me, it felt like it.

Jason. In my head I do all those things.

I think a lot of the time it's poor shot selection. 

Last edit : Sun 16th Mar 2008 08:01
user67961
Reply : Fri 21st Aug 2009 15:36

In the summer with a clean hit I get a 7 iron between 185 and 190 yards - but being 6'5" and 275lbs the laws of physics have a great deal off effect here.

Coming down to lower clubs / distances therefore sets me a challenge, when your PW goes 140 yards.........

user50657
Reply : Sat 22nd Aug 2009 00:48

I'd say about 140yds for me. I thought I didn't hit my irons very far but judging by the replies on here, I must be Mr Aerage.

A lad I play with can hit his Pitching Wedge as far as I can hit my 7 Iron and yet I can hit my driver further than him. It's something neither of us can understand. I'm further and better with my woods and he's further and better with his irons. 

user16163
Reply : Sun 23rd Aug 2009 18:44

on average i would say a 7iron for me is roughly 160-170yds but today playing i hit my 7iron 200yrds (  it was down wind though)

user215495
Reply : Sun 23rd Aug 2009 19:00

HI Guys , does it matter how far we hit it , its that we get there , and get the job done thats the game , but for instance my 7 iron is 165-190 depending on how i play it , but from 165 7 iron is my goto club , happy golfing guys

user83555
Reply : Sun 23rd Aug 2009 19:39

It's quite amazing how a simple entry on this site results in a 'mass' of comment

I feel entry here is somewhat now similar to one approaching a dead end since the subject matter has 'run it's course' but here goes anyway

I hit my 7 iron 140 yards but how often do I HIT THE TARGET !! 2/3 times out of 10 is my count !

so how many times do you hit the target with that 7 iron - Now it's your guy's go to reply to that one !

(s'funny I almost feel the need to start a new thread on the matter at these late points in the discussion)

Last edit : Sun 23rd Aug 2009 19:42
user41897
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 01:18

150 yds for me though playing in the states last couple of weeks with temperatures in the 90's is making it fly a little further.  Less air resistance ?

user215495
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2009 17:50

must come in again on this one , the density of the air does make a difference , hot days ball does fly further, cooler days cloud cover can make a difference , a warm ball in your pocket( switching after every hole )  would also make a difference , i've had some weird distances in the heat , eg: 207  yard 7 iron , proved with sat nav , i was 175 yards away from a par 5 in 2 ( to middle of green ) and completely flew the green and found the ball plugged at the back , some 32 yards past centre , so i blame the heat , ( oh and the course of steroids , lol ) happy golfing

G

user202424
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 12:31

Probably the most reliable and consistent club in my bag, hits 150-155yds and within 10yds left to right of the target about 9/10 times. This accuracy does not apply to other clubs where the only consistency is inconsistency...!

However after using this 20 year old half set of Pinseeker Tour irons I am awaiting the delivery of my new Callaway FTi-brids - so will have to re-assess.

Last edit : Tue 25th Aug 2009 12:46
user24437
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 13:41

Standard density of air at sea level is 1.225kg/m2, go up 500m from this and it drops by around  5%, increase the temperature by 5C at this height and the density drops to about 1.054kg/m2 which is why it goes further.

Keeping the ball warm in your pocket has an effect on ball flight but is negligable I'm afraid, as soon as it leaves the warmth it will lose the heat immediately. Sorry. 

user99350
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 14:10

Mark, I've had these '110%' shots also and I wish I didn't. I don't know exaxtly how far I hit a 7 iron as I'm more concerned on how far I can carry a 7 iron (no wind I think between 150-170 which is a fair old variance I could do without but it does depend on how I'm striking it on that particular day and will move up or down accordingly) but if I'm near the 150 marker it's my first consideration though could be a 9 iron or a five iron depending on the shot needed.

Tim Hawkins must have kept his ball stone cold on Sunday, playing short on the tight fairways at Thorne, with a fair old wind got him a creditable 35 points. 

user24437
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 14:19

It was the 273yd drive on the third that suprised me Pat!

user93554
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2009 22:36

165-170 for me in "normal" UK conditions (minus the wind that is)

user89735
Reply : Wed 26th Aug 2009 00:15

Depends what degree I set the face at :-)

user99350
Reply : Fri 28th Aug 2009 09:07

Good point Simon. If there's a wind right to left I find it helps to open the face slightly which helps to keep it on line, tho' I would add that a well struck shot, hit squarely with no left or right (intentionally or not) will not move in the wind that much. Also gives you that extra height.

user24437
Reply : Fri 28th Aug 2009 11:38

You managed to get it 25yds further than normal then Stu.

user99350
Reply : Mon 7th Sep 2009 13:11

Too true. Resulting in a duff 3/4 iron shot which wont go as far as a well struck 7.

user243326
Reply : Mon 7th Sep 2009 14:28

If there is one club in my bag that I know the exact distance that i hit it - it is the 7 iron.  Boy do I love being around those 150 yard markers! I know I can stick it 150 yards without fail (conditions permitting).

I am having a rough time with my game right now (i have only been on golfshake for 3 rounds and I average 26! I play off 19 usually) but my 7iron remains true to me.

It's my putter that is the evil one.  

user52922
Reply : Sun 7th Mar 2010 19:30

Muddy winter courses in Fife?

user129155
Reply : Thu 13th May 2010 12:35

7 iron i would use from 165 - 175, though the lofts on my irons are quite strong.

user26342
Reply : Fri 14th May 2010 19:41

Jonny,

You should be able to 'un-tick' the box that asks if you want a reply sent by 'editing' one of your replies

Last edit : Fri 14th May 2010 19:42
user77012
Reply : Sun 25th Jul 2010 01:18

Was it that magnificent effort that got you Remax finals in LA Ivan

user38216
Reply : Sun 25th Jul 2010 11:07

I can throw my 7 iron about 20 yards

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 25th Jul 2010 11:39
user246626
Reply : Sun 25th Jul 2010 12:49

Usually i can hit a 7 iron about 170 yrds depending on the conditions but sometimes i can hit my 8 iron just under 170 so its kind of weird.

Reply : Sun 25th Jul 2010 21:45

160 yards for 7 iron and 255 for driver is probably not far away to be honest Ivan (155 and 250 actually).  Good start!

user38216
Reply : Sat 19th Nov 2011 19:08

Who gives a cr*p!!! If its 170 yards in the wrong direction its no good to anyone! Mine carries about 150 and should be seen as a scoring club so accuracy is at a premium.

Last edit : Sat 19th Nov 2011 19:52

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top