Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Problems arranging my matchplay match!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 12th May 2015 23:22 | Last Reply

I entered the singles matchplay competitions at my golf club. They have a five day, seven day and the Priors course. This means that I will have three matches to arrange each month, providing I manage to win the previous match!

The rules at my golf club are that the person who's name is on top of the draw has to contact the other person giving them three dates to play. Hopefully, one of these dates will be agreeable to the both of you.

Once the competition gets to two weeks before the end date, and they haven't contacted you. Then you contact them giving them three dates to play.

The rules state that if the match isn't played by the end date then both players are disqualified!

My problem is that I have been contacting the person I'm due to play. We have agreed a date twice, and on both occasions he has cancelled. Once the night before and the second time on the morning of the game.

I've had unanswered text messages, etc.

We have gone past the closing date for our match, but he got an extension!

I'm at the point now where I think I will just cross my name off the competitions and never bother again.

I am one of those people who like to get these matches out of the way as soon as they go up on the board, but this match just isn't going to happen.

I have given up on the pairs matchplay as getting four people to agree a suitable date is nearly impossible!

How does your club deal with these kind of situations?

Russ

Last edit : Tue 12th May 2015 23:22
re: Problems arranging my matchplay match!
user25808
Reply : Wed 13th May 2015 14:05

Hi Russell.

I have the same problem arranging matches and I also gave up entering doubles as it was proving to be too difficult to arrange. I really wonder why some people enter matchplay comps and then prove to be very difficult to get hold or not flexible at all when it comes to dates! Always got to be when it suits them!!

At my club both are responsible to contact each other. I would suggest you copy in your competition secretary next time you try to arrange a match, give 3 dates( vary them a little) and then make it clear you have made every effort to play.

Last edit : Wed 13th May 2015 14:05
re: Problems arranging my matchplay match!
user23669
Reply : Fri 22nd May 2015 19:29

Have to agree with what has been said. Quite a few at my old club would hold out to the closing date & turn up on the first tee & hope you don't/can't appear so they're granted a walkover. It's just not fair

Last edit : Fri 22nd May 2015 19:29

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top