Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mobile Re-Gripping and Club refurb

Posted by: user601931 | Fri 15th Aug 2014 10:12 | Last Reply

Hi to all members.

I'm considering setting up a mobile re-grip and refurb/club cleaning service. Aim is I come to you at home or place of work, re-grip you're clubs with a choice of high quality grips and clean/service you're clubs all within around an hour.

It's an alternative to dropping then into the pro shop, we come at a time to suit you and it means you're clubs are ready to use for the weekend or evening.

Just looking for some feedback from you guys as to whether it is a service you'd consider using?

Thanks. Andy

Last edit : Fri 15th Aug 2014 10:12
re: Mobile Re-Gripping and Club refurb
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 15th Aug 2014 10:20

It's not a bad idea, but cost will decide if it succeeds or not.

As well as going to peoples houses/work to do the work, you could do the refurbishment at a golf club. I don't think they would be happy about you regripping clubs, but I cannot see them complaining about cleaning clubs.

Russ

Last edit : Fri 15th Aug 2014 10:20
user246701
Reply : Fri 15th Aug 2014 10:40

Good idea, but as already said the cost might mean that many people don't bother. If a pro shop offers the same service then the only reason for using this service would be cost.

So what sort of costing options are you looking at offering? Regrip with customer supplied grips?

Last edit : Fri 15th Aug 2014 10:40
user601931
Reply : Fri 15th Aug 2014 11:52

Thanks Brian. Example would be a set of 9 golf pride tour velvet or Lamkin Crossline supplied and fitted would be around £50-£60

Can I ask how much you guys tend to pay for regripping in the UK and do you use you're pro shop or a golf equipment shop.

Last edit : Fri 15th Aug 2014 11:52
user451055
Reply : Fri 15th Aug 2014 13:20

I think it would depend on the club and what the Pro shop offers. Ours does regripping and cleaning so you would be in direct competition but lots of clubs don't.

It might also be worth considering offering your services on clubs open days and other big competitions. I attended an invitation day at Pontefract and they had a club cleaning service which I took advantage of. I think it was about £6 for a clean and he was doing a roaring trade! We all got our clubs cleaned before we played but in future I would do it afterwards as the grips were a bit damp still!

Last edit : Fri 15th Aug 2014 13:20
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 15th Aug 2014 17:11

To follow on from Judy's point about Clubs already doing it. What about location? Will you have a team based countrywide? If you are based in Birmingham, you couldn't make money if you got £60 to do a job in Scotland.

Last edit : Fri 15th Aug 2014 17:11
user601931
Reply : Sat 16th Aug 2014 06:51

I'm based in the south west so to begin with it would be regional. I'd follow the same model as the mobile dents and ding/wheel refurb guys and as diary filled I'd then base myself in an area/region for a few days. Then, when the business was substantial enough I'd recruit in different regions of the country.

I'm looking to offer a flexible service with lots of choice, advice and the opportunity for customers to try samples to see which type of grip suits them as we all need help to improve our game. I'll be working with major manufacturers bringing the latest technology out with me.

Last edit : Sat 16th Aug 2014 06:51
user88724
Reply : Sat 16th Aug 2014 09:54

I really wish you the very best with this. My advice is to thoroughly research what you propose getting into. If you are seriously thinking about an entirely professional comprehensive set up then such is major, and almost certainly cannot be offered on a mobile basis. Yes, one could achieve more than a spit and polish and re-grip, but not a lot more being mobile.

If you have not spent at least a couple of weeks thoroughly exploring the ins and outs of it I respectfully suggest that you take a look at Dallas Golf Club Refurbishing. They have a YouTube video. And, I very much doubt that this excellent operation does everything in house, or is indeed comprehensive in what it offers / does.

Starting from the ground up refurbishing not only involves basic polishing and re-grooving but sandblasting, re-chroming and much more. And that is without getting into vintage clubs which is far more complex.

I re-furbish, more as a hobby than a business and have been doing a lot of it recently. Let's take a look at a recent not unusual job:

Received in a Ray Cook aluminium headed putter. Shaft and grip not salvageable so discarded. Using aluminium filings beat such into club chatter damage which were too severe to sand out. Sanded head with abrasive paper of decreasing coarseness and generally polished. Re-painted all engraving. Spray sealed the head.

Fitted new shaft, also fitted Ray Cook grip which had to be imported as unavailable in U.K. Sourced genuine R.C. head cover which also had to be imported.

'But that's ridiculous!' many will mutter. Possibly so, but I guarantee you will be presented with far more challenging jobs and immediately. Most customers will not pay for a simple re-gripping, a grooves clean out, and a wipe over.

All I'm saying is that a tour van does an incredible job on a mobile basis. Club re-furbishing is a far bigger operation and I can't begin to imagine how it could be done immediately let alone on a mobile basis.

I would love you to succeed but please do it with your eyes open, and with all of the necessary skills and contacts at your fingertips.

Last edit : Sat 16th Aug 2014 09:54
user246701
Reply : Sat 16th Aug 2014 10:24

Thanks for the quick pricing, so for example the golf pride grips, if you went with 9 re grips at £60 then your probably making around £30 on the service itself (excluding grip tape, chemicals etc) is that sustainable for the time taken to strip, clean the shaft and regrip the 9 clubs ?

Personally I regrip my own clubs, as it is a very simple procedure and usually I do it over the space of a couple of days, by stripping the grips one day, then cleaning the clubs up, then finally refitting. To the standards I work to it probably takes me more than two hours in total. I'm sure with a more professional setup I could save some time

Last edit : Sat 16th Aug 2014 10:24
user601931
Reply : Sun 17th Aug 2014 08:19

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've researched the market and I do believe there is a market for this kind of service.

What I want to know is, if this service was available, would you use it?

Last edit : Sun 17th Aug 2014 08:19
user88724
Reply : Sun 17th Aug 2014 09:47

I would use you Andrew for re-gripping as it would be a great deal. But demand is low, equipment costs high (eg. tall van), and U.K. golfers are largely nervous creatures who prefer the familiar eg. large / flash premises even though it costs them more. Be careful if you offer 're-furbishing' as many golfers will know what it truly means.

Last edit : Sun 17th Aug 2014 09:47
user24437
Reply : Sun 17th Aug 2014 13:26

It sounds a good idea on paper Andrew and there could be a market for it as others have said, although I do mine myself but I know many people who don't and wouldn't know how and who certainly need their clubs doing. Personally I'd see if you could tie up with some sort of corporate business (I know BMW do huge corporate days) or with someone established like the Trilby Tour. That way the pro-shops don't feel they are having their feet trodden on. Changing a set of grips with the right kit (such as a compressed air remover/fitter) could be done in minutes as you don't need solvents and a quick dunk in an ultrasonic cleaner is relatively quick too, so time shouldn't be an issue. The one reservation I would have is the amount of stock that you would need to carry. As an example, if you only supplied Lambkin they have a range of about 30 different grips when you take into account the cord/non-cord, undersize, normal, midsize and jumbo options - obviously you wouldn't have every style available but even if you stuck with the basic models (cord/non-cord, normal and midsize) to be able to regrip 5 sets of clubs you are going to need a stock of around 65 of each type. Chuck in a couple of other manufacturers and you'll need to carry a stock of thousands. Now obviously you could do it on an order only basis, but that sort of negates the point of a mobile fitter.

Last edit : Sun 17th Aug 2014 13:26
user566390
Reply : Fri 5th Sep 2014 16:42

I'm a long time self re-gripper and for 13 clubs would take about 1 hour. £60 - Cost of grips = say £30.00 - travel time and costs £20.00 less vehicle costs personal liability costs, You would be working for nothing, not a good business model.

Last edit : Fri 5th Sep 2014 16:42

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top