Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What is the best course you have ever played?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 29th Dec 2013 18:00 | Last Reply

Saw the below post earlier so worth asking what is the best course you have ever played ?

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/12742/What_is_the_worst_course_you_have_ever_played.html

re: What is the best course you have ever played?
user21179
Reply : Sun 29th Dec 2013 20:11

I would have to say St Georges Hill Surrey. The red and blue 9s are much better than the green (which actually only has 3 weakish holes and would have 6 of the best holes on most courses) Although not ranked as highly i would also mention Hankley Common. A great course with an unbelieveable feeling of isolation. I do have a preferance for the sandbelt treelined courses so it is only my opinion, but i enjoy them more than Royal st Georges or St Enodoc which are the best links courses i have played.

user104204
Reply : Sun 29th Dec 2013 21:42

Royal County Down

user80078
Reply : Sun 29th Dec 2013 22:54

I would have to say without hesitation, The Old Course, St Andrews.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 29th Dec 2013 23:18

Orange County National, Florida. Awesome and would definitely make a point of playing it again if (when) I go back

user77012
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 00:06

Kings North South Carolina designed by Arnold Palmer. Fav uk course Saunton.

user566390
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 08:42

In my playing time I have been very lucky and have played some great course, but to pick one is very difficult. I will give this some thought over the next few days but, The Fairmont Torrence Course and Siloth on Solway will be up there along with Celtic Manor

user451055
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 12:27

Cypress Point

user90608
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 13:01

My golf course experience is quite limited,to date i've played around 25 different courses mostly in East Anglia and my number one so far is Weston park just outside Norwich although that may change when i play the PGA course at the Belfry in may !

user79538
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 16:27

My favourite course would have to be Tobacco Road in Pinehurst, North Carolina. Only played it once, but the whole experience was awesome. Many holes have as much sand as Kiawah Island holes, but you can ground your club and even drive the buggies through the sandy areas. I found a site which listed 50 of the toughest courses in America, and Kiawah came out at number 1, and Tobacco Road at number 10, but that isn't the reason for picking it - it was just really enjoyable (they've got a really good website with loads of pictures). I bought a metal bag-tag from there as a memento, and it was always on my bag to remind me to go back, until I lost it a couple of years ago.

user23669
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 20:13

Going on courses I have played I would say Taconic in Massachusettes. Over this side of the pond I would say my golf club of Broadstone (Dorset)

user565589
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 22:01

I'm going to get laughed off this thread but here goes! I've played 3 golf courses in my "career" so far (I started playing about 3 months ago) all in London. Earlsfield 9 holer, beckenham place park and Mitcham. Been enjoying them all but Mitcham is definitely my favourite. Fairways are nice and spongey and greens are in lovely condition. I look forward to playing some of the fancier courses when I can actually hit a ball with some semblance of technique or grace. Tales of club pros watching players tee off at their clubs to make sure they're good enough is a bit scary at the moment.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 30th Dec 2013 22:44

Changing "best" for "favourite" would get a totally different answer from me.

To rank THE BEST, a course would only be judged on its layout. For this, I would put Ganton high on my list, along with the other Yorkshire Ryder Cup venues, Lindrick and Moortown.

But MY FAVOURITE course is Royal Birkdale because I always enjoy myself and score well there. Alwoodley and Thetford run it close though.

user64715
Reply : Tue 31st Dec 2013 20:27

Hmm. I would have put the Brabazon up there but on reflectiion it doesn't stand out from many other hotel resort type courses. I still got goosebumps going up the 18th and played a blinder approach to the 10th.

However, the best course I have played on so far was where I had my only experience of Links golf and that was on the open champiionship qualifying course at Wallesey on the Wirral.

user40826
Reply : Wed 1st Jan 2014 10:29

Good point Mr Lythgoe,

Favourite would have to be the Brabazon, for the true Ryder Cup feeling. Driving the 10th hole has been one of my best moments on golf!

Best course would have to be the PGA National also at the Belfry. A huge test of golf and one I'm looking forward to playing again.

user99350
Reply : Wed 1st Jan 2014 22:59

Thanks for reminding me Chris. We spent a couple of days at the Belfry playing the Brab and PGA. They're right up there on my favourite list. I suppose the 'best' course I have played is Muirfield...too hard for me even though I was a better player then. There are other less well known courses I always like going back to like Driffield, Bondhay.

user566390
Reply : Thu 2nd Jan 2014 16:10

Fav uk course Saunton. I played there the same day as a very young Spanish Lad won a junior comp on the East which we played the day before and played the West on the Sunday. Mid 90's at a guess. You might have heard of him, Sergio Garcia was his name.

user356537
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 21:00

Didn't play it but caddied. Does that count? If so, Sunningdale New followed by Sunningdale Old.

If sticking to courses I've played then it would have to be St George's Hill.

user410273
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 22:48

Favourite - The Hotchkin @ Woodall Spa.

Best - probably the same... but Carnoustie gives it a good run for its money.

user546815
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 15:07

Ive not played a great deal of courses maybe 20? the best course was probably aphrodite hills in cyprus. it was immaculate but LOOOOOONG and hot and i didnt play well. best and favourite in the UK would be the Lakes course at Greetham valley last summer. a real joy to play it was a beautiful day and the course was in great condition

user2879
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 15:34

I really enjoyed Las Colinas in Spain early last year, it was a beautiful location and a good test of golf. Similarly, I enjoyed Luffenham Heath which hosted the Open regional qualifier. Daniel, I think the Valley course at Greetham is better as it has more standout holes.

user546815
Reply : Sat 11th Jan 2014 22:20

Mbachi. I think both courses are brilliant but the weather was better when i played the lakes so that may have swayed my vote

user469358
Reply : Sun 26th Jan 2014 20:45

Hellidon Lakes - only joking, I like Northwood, kind of like a links course but without the sea.

user425315
Reply : Mon 23rd Jun 2014 17:31

I would have to say its the old course at Walton Heath - played on a glorious later summer day with the heather in full bloom!

Last edit : Mon 23rd Jun 2014 17:31
user235379
Reply : Sun 29th Jun 2014 22:38

Alias at Turnberry ranks high for me

Last edit : Sun 29th Jun 2014 22:38
user53837
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2014 11:55

Some crackers!

Last edit : Mon 30th Jun 2014 11:55
user61256
Reply : Wed 2nd Jul 2014 09:47
  1. Fraserburgh
  2. Gleneagles - PGA Centenary
  3. Murcar Links
  4. The Belfry - Brabazon
  5. Bull Bay

God this could go on for ages and i'm playing Carnoustie, St Andrews, Gleneagles (Kings) and Trump International next month so those could change again......

Last edit : Wed 2nd Jul 2014 09:47
user596177
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2014 17:51

Being a pensioner and pretty new to this wonderful game I chose well to join Ramsdale Golf Club Notts. A great 18 hole par 3 course and a challenging back nine on the main Seeley course where a buggy is required if you are not fit.

Last edit : Tue 15th Jul 2014 17:51
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2014 18:40

I've not played any of the premium courses (or so they think!)

I played Moor Allerton on the GTour and it was definitely one of the best courses I have played.

The aprons on some of the greens were as good as the greens at my golf course.

Russ

Last edit : Tue 15th Jul 2014 18:40

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top