Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Insurance, who has it?

Posted by: user498809 | Thu 4th Apr 2013 22:07 | Last Reply

As per title, who has or has had Golf insurance and is it worth it?

re: Insurance, who has it?
user25808
Reply : Thu 4th Apr 2013 22:16

I have had golf insurance with Golf Care, about �55 a year. not renewed this year yet, unsure if I will.

Undecided if it's worth it, never had to make a claim. Peace of mind I suppose.

user459944
Reply : Thu 4th Apr 2013 23:26

depends on what your clubs are worth Gary, in case of damage or getting them nicked, what would it cost you to replace? over �200?? for �55 a yr I'd seriously consider it.

user504404
Reply : Fri 5th Apr 2013 11:47

Like Adrian I am also with GolfCare

In the current compensation gone mad climate I feel a lot happier knowing if something dire happens on the course at least I am protected!!

For a new customer I think you can get cover for under �40 a year which is a no brainer IMO

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 5th Apr 2013 13:17
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 5th Apr 2013 15:09

I have Golf Plan. I've never had to use it but it does give me very good cover. I've hit someone with a ball twice (both times they were somewhere they shouldn't be) and wasn't sued but it only takes one. Also covers all my equipment new for old

user498809
Reply : Fri 5th Apr 2013 16:42

Some valid points in the posts, think i'll investigate further Thanks for the replies

user224024
Reply : Fri 5th Apr 2013 21:33

Legal precedent was made years ago for injuries, well before we started getting the US style compensation culture over here. The recent case re-affirmed that. Can you summon up �279,000 pounds, even selling your home, if you take someones eye out? You are liable even if your at no fault and even if you call "FORE!". I switch between GolfCare and Golfers Club (same company), leap frogging every other year. And each time you get some greenfree vouchers and other stuff, which I sell on ebay, unless the balls are worth using. I pay between �33 and �45; Silver plus excess waiver. And remember, for that other things are also covered.

user515909
Reply : Sun 7th Apr 2013 00:07

If you are in a society or as an individual try Golfguard on 0800 581801' only �5.00 per member for basic worldwide cover

user356537
Reply : Mon 8th Apr 2013 06:15

If its the liability cover that is your main concern check your home insurance policy. Most will cover personal liability. Mine also covered my clubs when they were stolen from my locker a few years ago.

user89876
Reply : Sat 13th Apr 2013 10:07

I have "the golfers club" insurance, had it about 6 years, �55 a year and in 2009 i had to make a claim and the sorted everything out, just make sure you keep receipts for everything, it makes life easier

user375014
Reply : Mon 15th Apr 2013 21:21

surely this just gets madness though we have insurance for everything, house, mortgage, car, now golf insurance, if they are anything like car insurers they will just try and stripe you up as much as possible and try and wriggle out of any claim. PLus i couldnt handle anymore cold calls offering more golf insurance!

user89876
Reply : Tue 16th Apr 2013 12:57

Lets hope you either don,t have a stray shot hit someone/something or have your clubs stolen

user224024
Reply : Tue 16th Apr 2013 13:38

It's not madness Nick, it's Case Law. You need Personal Liability Cover as an absolute minimum. To quote:

"Most people are not aware that most common household insurance policies exclude sports personal liability insurance. The Court of Appeal ruled in 1998 that should you damage property or injure someone else as a result of an errant shot on the golf course, you could be held financially responsible."

And we have a recent �379,000 case in favour of an injured person; the golfer in this case was deemed 70% liable. I can't afford to pay out approximately �265,300 but I can afford �33 a year.

user504404
Reply : Tue 16th Apr 2013 14:05

For the price of a box of new golf balls you can fully cover yourself out on the golf course, cover loss of clubs (new for old) and also get your bar bill covered if you get that hole in 1 (still waiting for that, was 2inches away last week!)

I think I paid just under �30 last year with golf care as they offered reductions for new policies. Guess it will be somewhere between �30 and �50 this year but still for peace of mind it is a must for me.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top