Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Do you think the Pros should play more Matchplay Golf?

Posted by: user354092 | Mon 18th Feb 2013 12:55 | Last Reply

The World Matchplay starts on Wednesday. I know I look forward to the event and would like top see a little more. The USPGA used to be Matchplay. I don't want to see lots, maybe 5-6 a year.

Was wondering if anyone else feels that the pros should play a lot more Matchplay?

Draw for the World Matchplay on Wednesday - http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/5280/Accenture_World_Matchplay_Draw_2013.html">Here

re: Do you think the Pros should play more Matchplay Golf?
user43166
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2013 13:31

Absolutely!! Love this format and would definitely like to see more of it.

I suppose it is not good for sponsors / television as half the field is knocked out each round and eventually you end up with 2 players playing the final. I must say that watching the final of this event live is a bit mundane for me as there is so much time between shots that needs to be filled. With "standard" events there are always lots of players in contention that the tv coverage can show.

Not sure what the answer is... if there is one.

Isn't there a matchplay event that is played in groups/leagues?

user369251
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 09:09

I would like to see a global matchplay league. We've seen it be a success in snooker and darts, and it could be done over an entire season. For tv purposes, you could have all that particular rounds fixtures played on the same day so there's plenty of action to follow. Big purse for the overall winner etc. however, as much as I would like it to be global, there's very little chance of it happening. The calendar is pretty rammed as it is, so unless big ��� were involved it would never take off. Shame really, I think matchplay delivers more tension generally than a stokeplay event.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2013 14:15

The main issue today is that all main Pro tour events are covered by TV and so the finish times would be a long way from guarenteed.

Also you could lose your 'star' players early (like this week). A round robin, where all players play for most of the week may work, but the old DD Tournament(?) went years ago because of TV.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top