Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf in St.Petes Florida

Posted by: user492416 | Sun 30th Dec 2012 15:20 | Last Reply

Looking to play a few rounds in St. Petes Florida in Feb, anyone recommend a few courses nearby. I play off 13 and need to hire clubs. Will be playing alone so just looking for a few cheap choices.

Last edit : Sun 30th Dec 2012 15:21
re: Golf in St.Petes Florida
user80078
Reply : Sun 30th Dec 2012 21:22

Graham, you must try Isla Del Sol at St Pete's. A superb course where you can hire good quality clubs. Enjoyed playing it. Wide fairways, lovely greens and just a bit of water to negotiate. Best of all it was not expensive. Enjoy!!

user492416
Reply : Mon 31st Dec 2012 10:55

Thanks Michael, I've sent them a msg.

user80078
Reply : Fri 4th Jan 2013 12:34

Let me know how you get on Graham!

user417527
Reply : Fri 4th Jan 2013 19:17

Hi Graham. When are you going? I'm going to be in Orlando in February too, but will be heading over to Tampa on occasions for the ice hockey if the season ever starts there (It was supposed to start in October, but disputes been the players and owners mean it may not even take place this season).

Anyway, I'm looking to play some golf and would be happy to join you for a round or two.

Btw, they may not be on your radar anyway, but I wouldn't recommend Cove Cay (very hittable buildings bordering some fairways), Mainlands (too short) or Airco (untidy and not especially exciting).

I enjoyed playing East Bay CC, which I guess is about 10 miles away from St Pete's, and just over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is Imperial Lakewoods. That's a pretty decent test for most players (it kicked my ass twice!), and a couple of miles from there is Buffalo Creek which is a very well kept muni that's a touch cheaper/easier.

About 30/40 minutes drive from you (I'm guessing) is Tarpon Woods (formally Brookers Creek), which if I remember correctly is a really nice course with an absence of on-course housing. It wasn't overly expensive either.

Hope that helps.

Last edit : Fri 4th Jan 2013 19:19
user260507
Reply : Wed 9th Jan 2013 16:35

Check out www.golfnow.com I use the site for pretty much all my games when I'm in Florida.

user492416
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2013 09:14

Hi Neville, I've just confirmed my travel arrangements. I'll be flying over on 22nd and staying in Clearwater for 5days, then down to St.Petes for 4days. Would be looking to play anytime from Monday 25th. Does this suit you? Let me know as happy to meet up for a game.

Graham

user417527
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2013 14:07

Hi Graham. Sadly the dates couldn't tie up less. I'm out here at the moment and actually fly back on the 22nd. The weather since I've been here has been pretty good so hopefully that will continue for your stay. Have a great time!

user492416
Reply : Wed 13th Mar 2013 21:03

Well I managed 2 rounds in Florida, one at Clearwater Country Club and the other at Semonile Lake CC Went round Clearwater with 3 locals which was very enjoyable, and only lost 2 balls(this is a record for me playing in the US) Semonile was not as enjoyable due to the hold ups,was stuck behind the pro+3,who looked like they were in a serious 4ball.Both nice courses although the later was double the cost.

user417527
Reply : Wed 13th Mar 2013 23:09

Glad you had some fun out in Florida, Graham. I ended up playing my rounds mainly in the Orlando area, a couple of which were both excellent value and on great courses too.

I think the problem with playing in that part of the world, especially while you're enduring a British winter, is that there are so many good courses in the area that you have to keep going back to try them all. That's my plan anyway

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top