Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf clubs and car boots

Posted by: user260507 | Tue 21st Aug 2012 21:39 | Last Reply

Hello all

Am in process of buying new car. Had the preferred car out for a test drive tonight, all good. Final test was ' golf clubs in the boot' epic fail!!!! Clubs wouldn't even fit in sideways, only diagonal across the boot. Very little room left for trolley, let alone the other golf crap I carry about.

Are boots just smaller??

Anyways, without buying a small van, anyone found any cars which are more suitable?

It was an A3 sport back I tried.

Am I just going to have to accept fact that's it's going to be a tight squeeze???

Last edit : Tue 21st Aug 2012 21:43
re: Golf clubs and car boots
user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Aug 2012 21:58

The first thing I did when I was looking for a replacement was to try the clubs, much to the amusement of the car salesmen. I like bigger cars so thought that getting clubs in wouldn't be a problem but I was wrong - finally ended up with a Mondeo which can fit three full sets and a couple of electric trolleys without much of a problem (oh, and the 2.5 litre turbocharged petrol engine helped )

user40826
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 07:02

Go to admit, going from an A6 Avant to an A5 was a risk. Managed to get my clubs, shoes, Go Kart trolley, battery in the boot......just. I was a very relieved man, although I'm on my own to the golf club now, no passengers.

user99350
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 07:34

Ford Focus 1.6 fits my big carry bag and a smaller bag (when I take 7 clubs for a knock about).

user26342
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 12:02

I would of thought most estate cars would be more than ok, smaller 'hatch back's your always going to struggle.

user26342
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 12:02

I would of thought most estate cars would be more than ok, smaller 'hatch back's your always going to struggle.

user127691
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 14:01

All depends on how they fill out the boot around the wheels!!! you won't fit a set of clubs sideways between the wheels of many cars but most have a space infront of or behind the wheels you can lay your clubs in, some have compartments or just voids behind and in front of the wheels that prevent you laying your clubs across. A BMW 1 series has a much smaller boot than an A3 but it has a space behind the wheels you can lay your clubs across. I couldn't fit mine sideways in my vectra boot without taking the driver out because of the arrangement of the boot but could fit them sideways in an astra estate and that was a much narrower car.

user459944
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 15:24

dont buy a qashqai, cant get bugger all in it !!

user16106
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 17:53

Megane saloon. 4 stand bags easily go in with or without drivers. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user445877
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 18:37

Audi A6 has a huge boot, so that is a good one. I had a Focus for a year or so and could get the bag in if I removed all the woods and put them in separately, plus still room for a trolley and clothing bag. Now I have a CRV so no problem with space at all.

user464897
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 19:03

My 07 Vectra SRi will not take 2 regular size cart bags and 2 three wheel trollies,we end up putting 1 of the bags on the back seat.My previous Mondeo took the lot no trouble.

No point in buying the Impreza I looked at earlier :-(

user338942
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 19:21

Saw this on Facebook earlier Jane#

Clubs always go on my back seat. Worthless even attempting putting the boot of the Clio. Got a 7series for a banger rally I'm doing in a couple of week though. You could get half a club shop in the back of one of them!! The thing is huge!!

user389585
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 21:12

Audi a6 no problem 2 sets plus trolley

user260507
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 22:09

I don't want a massive car tho. Guess trying to get best of both worlds!! On plus side, the golf club test has now been carried out on a Mazda 3,bmw 1 series and a Ford focus. Mazda 3 was best, but focus was ok too (is what I currently have)

More astonishing was ford guy telling me they have a new 1.0ltr car with 125 bhp!!!

The search continues.....

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 22:27

My Alfa GT can get a cart bag in diagonally with the driver out plus my motocaddy trolley with a little extra space left.

As an alternative, if I put down the smaller half of the split seat the the clubs slide though nicely without the need to take any clubs out

user451055
Reply : Thu 23rd Aug 2012 06:47

Mondeo is fine if it is a hatchback but ours is a saloon and is a pain in the butt. The only way to get a bag and trolley in that boot is to remove all woods from bag and to remove wheels from trolley. Tis a pain in the bum. Next will be a hatchback!

user249902
Reply : Thu 23rd Aug 2012 10:15

I have a Honda Civic and I can get a PK electric trolley (without the whels) and a cart bag fullyloaded in the boot

user52922
Reply : Thu 23rd Aug 2012 11:58

When I first started playing I used to get to the golf course on my NSU Quickly with my bag on my back. Not many people owned cars then.

user24437
Reply : Thu 23rd Aug 2012 17:30

Judy, is that an older Mondeo? My '08 version only comes in the saloon and estate versions, and my saloon boot* has enough room to hold a party in..

• and with the seats folded flat I have managed to get 7 full size bales of straw in it, it's that big**

** without the golf clubs in, obviously

user460046
Reply : Thu 23rd Aug 2012 17:40

Whats wrong with the back seat? lol

user451055
Reply : Fri 24th Aug 2012 06:48

Hi Tim, it is an old one 2001 I think. the problem is not really the boot size but the opening space to get things in. because it is just a boot cover the opening is tiny so everything needs to be broken down. If we put the back seats down then we can get bags in lengthways but it is always a worry doing that or using the back seat as clubs are then on display. Fine on short trips but never happy with that when you stop at services etc. Always feel someone is going to nick em. Mine aren't expensive but the hubbies are a decent set.

user462914
Reply : Sat 25th Aug 2012 17:57

My Berlingo seems to do the job well without the back seats down and it stands out on the car park along side the BMWs and Audis ect.

user103169
Reply : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 11:41

You've seen my Passat Jane.... mine don't even fit there comfortably, because of where the wheel arches are. The S-Max I had was ideal, loads of room. The new C-Max is now almost as big. I did the test on a BMW 3 series at the time I got the Passat, and it failed , although I have just looked at the new model and the boot is much larger.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top